Panicking! Need some last minute advice.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by e72071, Jan 30, 2017.

1. e72071

e72071 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Long Island, NY
    So it looks like I screwed up a bit. I placed a chick order with ideal and my chicks weren't available. They said they would put in a request and call me. So I said eh I'll order some place else. Placed an order from Meyer expected to come 2/22. Turns out I check my credit card today and ideal processed my order and they are shipping in 2 days! While I am super excited I'm freaking out that we aren't prepared. Here's a list of what we are getting. We have the brooder, heating pad, food and water dish, heat lamp, pine shavings, chick starter, pee pads for under the pine and thermometer. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Read the articles in the learning center about raising chicks. Read some of Blooie's thread about mother heating pad cave brooding. Read her article at the bottom of my signature. Be sure your brooder is big enough. Your brooder should be about 1 s.f./chick to get them through the first couple of weeks. I then like to be sure it is increased to 2 or more s.f./chick for the rest of the brooding time. You also might want to pick up some Poultry Nutri-Drench and put some in their water for the first day. If the chicks look or act stressed, you may want to put some sugar in their water for the first day (1 - 2 tsp./qt.). If you add anything to the water, be very sure that you change it out every day. If you use PND, I'd only give it every other day for the first week, mixing just enough in the water to make it look like very weak tea. You have a very nice list of chicks there.

If you plan to cancel the other order, do so early. There may be a cancellation penalty fee involved.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  3. e72071

Apr 1, 2016
    Long Island, NY
    The PND, is that to prevent dehydration? We did order grogel with the chicks also. I think our starter brooder is big enough. We need to expand it after a couple weeks like you said. I did read the articles about the heating pad cave. We did exactly that. I figured that would be good for them when we aren't home or at night to sleep. Other times we may(depending on how they adapt) use a heat light periodically.

Also how long do you give them the chick starter and when do you switch them to regular layer pellets. Not sure the food transition schedule.

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely go search some of the threads. I have been reading up on some already.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If you are using the heating pad, you absolutely do not, and IMO should not use a heat lamp. Use one or the other. The PND is a vitamin. It is designed to be directly absorbed into the blood stream, so it will bypass the gut if the gut is sluggish. If you are concerned about dehydration, you would want to use electrolytes. You can easily mix up your own. do a google search for home made electrolyte solution or home made gator ade. My solution used: jello, sugar, baking soda, salt, and water.

Re: starter, usually 6 - 8 weeks, but you will find that info right on the bag. Your choice re: using medicated or non medicated starter.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Do yourself a favor and use medicated starter crumbles.
    I see you are getting a couple of Chanteclers. Now they are cold weather birds. These chicks can handle the cold. They do not need as much heat as the other birds. Make sure you give them a place they can get away from the heat. When they grow up, you will find them playing in the snow. In the summer it's a good idea to give them some kind of cooling off area I think I will use a small tub and fill with a couple of inches of water and throw in a frozen milk jug of water so they can wade in it. The feathers of the Chantecler at like a down jacket. they keep the birds really warm,
    The PND is a great idea! I have never had a sick or dead bird when I put Drench in their water for the 1st 2 weeks. It will help combat travel stress too.
    Best,
    Karen

6. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    hum, the 1st 6 breeds on the list need regular brooder heat temps. The Chanties need less heat than normal. The Black Giant and the Rocks need normal brooder temps. As I remember, the Spanish and the Cubalayas are warm weather birds. so keep them out of drafts.
    Best,
    Karen
    P.S. If you end up with more chicks then you want, just sell some on Craigslist to help pay for the others. People will be glad they don't have to order chicks. Sell them for what you ad for them and give each sold chick one drop of PND by mouth before they leave. Tell the new owners to buy a bottle and make the weak tea looking Drench water for the 1st week they have their new birds.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  7. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I'm not sure why those first 6 on the list would need a heat lamp if the OP is using MHP. I've raised so many different breeds I can't even list them all using it, mixed and brooding at the same time. I even had Silkies and Ohio Buckeyes (another cold weather breed) under MHP together. All of my Red Sex Links (well, except for my first batch before I even started with MHP) were brooded using MHP, and there sure isn't much difference between them and the blacks. Those that need more heat stay under and close to the pad longer, those that don't use it less. They self-regulate.

Do you know something I should know, Karen? If I'm missing something that I should be telling people I sure don't want to omit that. We all want the same thing - healthy strong chicks - no matter which heat source we use so I always appreciate getting new information that I didn't have before.

Edited to add: And ditto ditto ditto on the Nutri Drench!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  8. e72071

Apr 1, 2016
    Long Island, NY

Thanks for the info. We will probably only use the heating pad. It makes more sense. And I did get the nutri drench. I really am so excited to see the babies. The delivery works out perfectly. I work 1/2 days on Fridays so I'm going right to the post office to pick up my chicks. I'll send pics once I get them settled in.

And blooie I've read some of your posts and thanks for all of them. They have been very helpful.

9. e72071

Apr 1, 2016
    Long Island, NY
    I feel like I'm being a pain with all my questions but everyone here has much more experience than we do with chicks.

How often do you recommend changing the water, food and bedding?

10. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    "As often as needed" - and by that I mean chicks tend to make a mess of things. I ended up changing the water daily (because of the bedding they'd kick in), food every other day or so (they'd poop in it, kick bedding into it), and bedding I was changing twice a week until they started knocking over the water regularly, so then that became every day as well. By the point they're probably ready to go outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by