Panicking! Seemed like a good idea at the time!

melodie_a

Songster
9 Years
Aug 28, 2010
Sanford, NC
HELP! I have hatching eggs and I have no idea what I am going to do. I have never hatched before so I bought these eggs with the plan to have someone else incubate for me. The agreement was one dollar per egg that hatches, which sounded great to me. The eggs actually arrived today, three days before I expected them and now my planned incubator says they decided to go out of town for a couple of weeks and they can't incubate them for me! Eeeks! I have absolutely no idea what I am supposed to do! I am panicking because I really want to give the eggs their best shot and I don't know if I should go out and buy an incubator and try it myself or what to do. I am not easily rattled, but this has me worried to death!

Go buy an incubator. It isn't that hard. You may not have the best choice of incubators but all will work. As soon as you get your incubator get it started and warmed up. Make sure you have a good thermometer and hydromometer if there isn't one on the incubator. Set the temp in the incubator to 100. Let it run there for several hours to make sure the temps are stable. Then set your eggs. Get back to us and let us know how things are going.

Thank you so much for your response. I am much calmer now! I went and got the only incubator available in our town, a Little Giant still air. I wish there had been some better quality ones available but it is better than nothing. I have it warming up now. We will see what happens, keeping my fingers and toes crossed!

Thank you so much for your response. I am much calmer now! I went and got the only incubator available in our town, a Little Giant still air. I wish there had been some better quality ones available but it is better than nothing. I have it warming up now. We will see what happens, keeping my fingers and toes crossed!

Way to go :clap do you have a turner? Now, a still air takes a different temperature than one with a fan, I don't know what that temp is, sorry. Turning by hand isn't that big of a deal. If you miss a turn just move on. I find eggs very forgiving - to a point.

I have two incubators, my first being a little giant still air with hand turning and I hatched 17 healthy chicks. As long as you are attentive to the turning and temp. And humidity levels you should have as good of a shot as any. I would suggest reading up on the development and hatching process. The more you understand what's going on in there, the better.

I did get the turner for it so that will be taken care of. I have been struggling to get the temp right and to figure out what is the right temp, I have read 99.5, 100 and 101. I think I may have read too many posts on the subject! There are so many conflicting opinions on what is the right way. I am hoping these little Cream Legbars are a healthy hearty bunch and they can manage through any mistakes I make!

If it has a fan that circulates air, set it at about 99.5. If it is still air =101. I've done lots of research and these two temps seem to be the majority opinion. If its a still air, I open mine up and let new air in a couple times a day. Don't have a clue if all the experts do this, but I am newer to hatching eggs in an incubator and just go by what I've read and researched. Good luck!:)

Thank you Melanie and 3BirdGirlz. That link was very helpful! I am working at holding on 101 now. I have realized that the hygrometer/thermometer I bought today was completely wacky. I was so confused because the temp kept going too high but I have three thermometers in there and the other two weren't reading those high numbers. I will have to return it tomorrow for a different one. I liked the humidity and digital temp and it kept a high for the day and a low for the day so I would know if there was a spike but they need to work on accuracy!

There is an entire thread on here of Little Giant incubator suggestions. Read through it and pick out what seems logical to you. My personal faves: open through the windows only and keep it in a place with no fluctuating room temp and out of drafts.

Back
Top Bottom