1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Panicky Pipping question about Genesis Humidity LINK TO PIX ADDED

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SusanJoM, May 27, 2008.

1. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

This morning (Day 21) I had three pips. I seem to have two more, but the first two haven't progressed any.

I have a piece of that shelf lining covering the hardware cloth, so I can't see if the troughs are full or not.

I also have clear tubing running through the vent hole into the C-trough.

Humidity is at 60. I've been injecting water through the tube into that C-trough, but have no way of seeing/knowing how full it is. And, I have no way of adding water to the other bigger troughs.

Do you think I should pop a hot wet washcloth in?

Susan

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:That's what I do. [​IMG]

3. A Carolina Chick

A Carolina Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    NC
    Good Luck! [​IMG]

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Humidity should be around 70%. A hot wet washcloth wouldn't hurt. do you have a small bowl you could put it in? Use warm water so the bator doesn't need to work so hard. So I was told. Good luck

5. SusanJoM

I wrung the washcloth out really well and put it in the microwave for 20 seconds. Humidity climbed up to 84.

My first pip has started zipping.

I'm sooooo excited.

Susan

6. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Don't forget the pictures. Keep us updated. Congrads.

7. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Ohhhhhh.....babies!!! Can't wait to see them. Congrats!!!!

8. SusanJoM

Oooooh.....there's really a baby chickie in there now.....my everylovin' goodness....I've been taking pictures, but I haven't yet uploaded any to the site. I'll figure it out when I'm not so excited.

Amazing how much noise one little newborn chickie can make....s/he's got lungs!!!

Okay, more later.

I'll go see if I can figure out this picture deal.

Susan

9. SusanJoM

Okay, next question.
    I've got one chickie all out of the shell.
    Several other pips, but very little action.

How long can I leave #1 in there????
    If I remember s/he can go for up to 24 hours before s/he will need food and water?

Izzat right?

Susan

PS....sorry but so far my pictures are pretty terrible, and I really am not up to figuring out how to get them from my computer to Flickr to the site. Guess I should have learned how to do that when the pressure wasn't on.

10. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Just wait til there are more!!!!! Mine finished hatching last night and haven't figured out chickens sleep at night!!! The noise is AWFUL!!! But they are so sweet!!! Can't wait to see the pics!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by