Panning for poop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by johanssonmel, Feb 1, 2015.

1. johanssonmel

johanssonmel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2014
    Wilmington NC
    I thought I'd share my lazy chicken-keeper's method for poop deck maintenance. The whole business takes me about 3 minutes from start to finish and is pretty painless.

My secret weapon is a gold-panning sieve that cost me about 11 bucks:
    [​IMG]
    The poop deck (and the floor of the chickenhouse) is covered with sand. After a night of poopage it looks like this:

[​IMG]

I just scrape the sand off onto the sieve with a trowel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sieve itself fits right into a 5-gallon bucket, so you can dump the sand back onto the poop deck if you want. I usually just let it fall through to the floor, though, and put fresh sand on the deck.
    [​IMG]

Shake it down and, voila! No-mess, non-stick, sand-covered poop balls ready for incorporation into the compost heap.

[​IMG]

And the poop deck is ready to go another nine innings:

[​IMG]

Gold-panning equipment. Who knew?

1 person likes this.
  2. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! It's perfect! We've been trying to solve the problem of what will fit over that size bucket, with no success. Who knew?!

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Huh - great find! I just use a dollar store dust pan (for scooping) and plastic kitchen strainer/colander -- this looks like a nice idea, though.....

4. Tippyman

Tippyman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2014
    I use a kitty litter scooper and the cheapest sand that lowes has. Works great!

5. chickybuddy100

chickybuddy100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2014
    I have sand in my coop and I've been using 1/2 wire over a pan
    but that would work so much better ...in gonna try that thanks

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I use a kitty litter scoop daily for my sandy coop. You can't beat sand! Do make sure you wear an N95 mask when scooping sand as the dust is VERY bad to breathe!

Your post was great- made me LOL when I read the title.

[​IMG]

7. OKusmcChckens

OKusmcChckens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Will this work with construction sand or DG? Or only with fine grained sand? Wondering how big the holes are.

8. johanssonmel

johanssonmel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2014
    Wilmington NC
    I think it will work with any kind of sand. I use two stacked sieves--one with 1/4" mesh and one underneath it with 1/8" mesh. So I can't imagine any kind of sand that wouldn't go through. You can go up to 1/2", but I think some of the poop balls would fall through at that size.

Your poop may vary.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by