Panting 3 day old???

MakNat

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Ky
Ok I admit, this was a late rough hatch. 10 survived and seem to be off to a slower start, but are shaping up!!
smile.png
But one looks like he is panting, constantly and hes the one and only getting pastey butt. I know how to clean him, man he hates it! I've seen him eat and drink. This sounds gross but it looks like his little butt is pulsating too. They have enough room to get away from the heat.. I made sure he gets a drink every time I pick him up to clean/check him. He hates that too. Poor little feller...

Ok now hes gotten worse.
sad.png
I got him to drink a tiny bit of olive oil and yogart and water of course. I soaked him for about 10 minutes in really warm water. Hes clean and dry now. And put oil on his butt, tried a gentle massage. Every time I sit him down it really looks like he is trying SO hard to poo, all hunched up. A tiny bit of watery white goo will come out.... But I can tell that is not enough. He keeps squatting and trying. Its heart breaking. I don't know what else to do.. He is the only one panting too there are 9 that are fine..

PM a moderator and ask them to move this to the Emergencies section so you can get more help. Good luck!

Thanks. I didn't pay attention where I posted.. He can get away from the heat. Everyone else seemsnormal..

Quote:
This is quite a simple question for the people above . Fncbirds has the right idea. Whats the temperature its either too hot, crowded, dusty perhapes or not getting water. Just obseve for a few minutes.

can you take him out of the brooder for a few minutes and see if the panting stops while he's in an un-heated area? the pulsating vent is completely normal. they will do that whenever you mess with that area.

Quote:
You could do that. But what i would suggest is either to get a thermometer in there or raise the lamp and see what happens.
Your call
big_smile.png

The hottest corner is 93 degrees. The thing is 3 ft x 5 ft with only 10 chicks in there. He stopped panting awhile ago. He just acts like he REALLY needs to poo and can't.. They are ALL asleep right now. I'll just keep an eye out and maybe do a soak again..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom