1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

panting 4 day old silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by npzkris, Oct 20, 2011.

1. npzkris

npzkris New Egg

Oct 20, 2011
    Hi everyone!
    I just received 6 baby silkies 2 days ago. They are 5 days old today. Two of the babie chicks are having regular pasting problems. After I cleaned one of the babies off today, it immediately started panting and laying down.
    I used a wet papertowel and picked the poop off from the area. Im wondering if this is too aggressive and also what to do about the panting? Is that just a stress reaction or something to sorry about?
    Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

You can put some vasaline on their butts to help the poop not stick.

Panting is most likely because they are getting overheated.

3. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I would think that it was just from the stress of being handled and maybe a little discomfort of being cleaned,if it stops panting and does not start up again after being left alone I would say thats what it is.Something that I was told and it works for me for pasty butt is go outside and dig up a samll piece of grass and dirt and put it in there brooder for them to pect at and this will take care of the pasty butt.They will be scared of it at first but will get used to it.Make sure it grass that is chemical free

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Both panting and pasty butt can be signs of stress and over heating. Dial back your temps a bit. You didn't say, but if you're brooding at the bottom of one of those plastic tubs, sometimes the air is a bit stifling down there, as there is isn't very much air exchange. Best wishes on your new flock and enjoy them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by