Panting and pale comb.... Gone within 24 hours, what happened?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coop-er, Aug 28, 2013.

1. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    My previously hardy and healthy RIR hen was panting a little yesterday, she was drinking but wanted to stay in the coop. When I checked on her a few hours later she was out foraging and seemed better. Today I came home from work, opened the coop and there she was.. Gone. Does anyone have any ideas what could have happened? Looking her over I saw nothing unusual. Also- this leaves just one adult (7 mo) hen left. What should I do now? Will she need a companion? I currently have 3 Rhodebars and 2 Swedish Flower hens but they are only 4-6 weeks old, they are in a separate part of the same coop. They can all see each other but are not in the same area. Is this enough company for her or should I get another girl closer to her age?

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How hot was it? Heat can and does kill chickens.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Could have been heat, could have been some kind of internal problem. No way to know without a necropsy if there was something else going on.

The young birds should be enough company for her if they are in the same coop and just separated by wire. I'd just let them grow up there next to her, she'll get used to them and integration should go fine. If you get another hen her age you'll have to have yet another area for her to be separate in for a while to let your hen get used to her before they share space.

4. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012

Yes it has been hot- I was keeping them in the coop because a fox killed my other 6 and they were the only two left. Oh man am I going to feel awful it it actually was the heat. The coop is in the shade and does not get alot of direct sunlight but I suppose with the high temp we have been having it could have been too warm inside-I guess that explains why she seemed to be doing better after I let her out after work yesterday but then after spending another day in the coop she didn't make it. Shoot, I feel awful.....

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Might want to install a fan in the coop. My coops are mostly open across the front since they are inside a barn but I still have a fan in each one to keep the air moving and dissipate heat. A box fan in a window or a wall mount fan up near the ceiling work well.

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Chickens do not tolerate heat at all,they have no sweat glands they rely on their respiratory system to cool themselves down,that is why they pant,spread wings etc. If you ever see any of your chickens showing symptoms of heat stress/stroke immediately submerge them in a pail of COOL water(NOT COLD,this will shock them)up to their neck,this will immediately drop their body temp and possibly save their life. Chickens body temp ranges from 103(young birds)-107 degrees Fahrenheit,anything over 113 degrees and up,they are in immediate danger. Some symptoms of heat stress are,heavy panting,wings spread,not eating/drinking properly,lethargic,confused and finally collapse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by