1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

panting and squeaking

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cassady, Mar 11, 2014.

1. cassady

cassady New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    I have 4 peking ducks and they are about 3 weeks old(I think) just starting to get adult feathers in. I have 2 that pant and squeak especially at night. I live in Florida and they are inside pets. I do not use a light anymore as it gets to hot. They have a dish deep enough to get their beaks in and have at least 2 swim times a day. I don't understand what I am doing wrong any advice?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Ducks put off alot of body heat when confined in a brooder, so if it's already warm and they are in a small space that maybe the problem. They actually need to be able to DUNK their heads not just get bills into the water. Are you planning on having them outside when old enough? giving them some outdoor time will be good for them as long as they have shade too. But try putting some Apple Cider Vinegar into their water container 1-2 Tab. to 1 gallon of water so they can really clean out their nares and wash their faces it has antibacterial proprieties and is a good all round tonic. are you seeing any discharge? eyes look clear. any wheezing? [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  3. cassady

cassady New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    Hi Miss Lydia,thank you for responding.... we do go out on our patio and they have a little kids pool they play in for however long they want. I sit and do my crocheting while they play when they stop playing and just kinda sit it's their sign they are done. We dry off and they can either stay out and play or go in. As far as dunking their head, yes. We had initially bought but that got small fast. As far the broader box they had to be move out of it a few days ago they were to big. They are in another little kids pool for now. Daisy, poppers, peeps, and ducky are all more of pets then anything else. No there is no discharge from eyes, there is from nose a little when they pant but that's usually a drop or two of clear fluid.no wheezing more like a toy duck at times. They also don't pant all the time and it is only two of my babies.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    One thing you have to be careful of is bedding, it has to stay relatively dry,wet bedding especially in heat can cause respiratory problems, mold etc so keeping bedding as dry as possible is a good idea. Hopefully what ever is going on will pass but if it gets worse you may want to seek vet care. especially if you notice eyes draining or mucous from nares or eyes. or they don't seem to be feeling well in general. Ducklings/ducks are tough lil characters and if given good care make it through even some of our mishaps in raising them. I speak for myself, always learning. I have 14 ducks and all of mine are pets. There are numerous things you can use from home to make waterers for the ducklings, type in duckling waterers at top in search and you'll see quite a few. Please keep us updated on how they are doing and of course pics when you can. I do rec trying the ACV I use it with my flock they like the taste i even use it in water for myself

5. cassady

cassady New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    Okay will try the ACV. For bedding I use blankets and food, water and blankets are changed at least 4 times if not more as I work from home

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by