Panting and wasting,on Di-Methox for 2 days already. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by openheartnp, Sep 25, 2011.

1. openheartnp

openheartnp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Green Twp, NJ
    Hi

My 26 week old pullet became lethargic 6 days ago, small green poop, poor appetite. My newbie mistake I waited, but after 3 days of force feeding and water by dropper I put the flock on Di-Methox for possible coccidiosis. I know she has been drinking it. Appetite and mood improved slightly, 2.5 days later. BUT, she is panting and it seems to be getting worse. No wheeze. I still have to make her eat.

I've noticed more cecal-type poop in the run also.

Also, she hasn't laid an egg in quite a while. I felt her all around, there doesn't seem to be an egg in there.

Thoughts?

2. Alfred's Mama

Alfred's Mama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    If it's not some kind of infection you might want to check for gapeworm as the symptoms can cause severe respiritory problems, the problem is that sometimes antibiotics need a good few days to kick in and improve the situation if it's an infection; but, if it's gapeworm and you don't treat them for it right away it gets up in the trachea and suffocates them - ideally you should find a good antibiotic that can be used in safely in conjuntion with a gapeworm treatment, if possible always try to run these things by a good vet, it can be costly but saves alot of heartache, especially if like me you're a beginner to keeping chickens. My silkie Alfred is currently ill with a very up and down appetite, I found that he couldn't manage the size of his grains because he was too weak to open his mouth wide enough for them and kept dropping them - it might be useful to try your hen with some some wet food, I mushed up some garden peas, finely chopped bread, some long grain rice (boiled), millet seed (boiled til soft), all mixed up to make it like a porridge consistency, adding a little water at a time until it's just right, serve it slightly warm in a shallow dish, a plastic coffee jar lid washed out is perfect, deep enough to hold the food and shallow enough to encourage her to eat by herself - if you can get your hands on some dried meal worms try adding those too; just always remember to keep an eye on any sick chicken around food and water dishes. And keep her incubated, I use a reptile's heat mat under a fleece blanket - a little warmer than room temperature. Good luck with her, it's horrible when they get sick [​IMG]

3. Alfred's Mama

Alfred's Mama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    I almost forgot, try using some dioralyte childrens powder mixed in water, it helps keep them hydrated when they have loose droppings

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by