Panting Call Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by easttxchick, Dec 15, 2010.

1. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I have an approximately 6 month old White call hen that has a very red eye(she is keeping it closed for the most part), she sounds wheezy in her nares and she is now panting.
    Any ideas on what this could be?
    This just started today-she seemed fine this morning.
    I have her in a small carrier in the laundry room with pine shavings, some feed available and have added electrolytes and tetramyacin to her water.
    Sinus infection, possibly?
    This is my first sick duck and I'm in a panic-please help!

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I waited to see if anyone would reply. I googled illness in ducks and came up with a great site. This new I mac will not let me copy and paste the site!
    Please google and find information for your duck. I think ducks are very sensitive to drugs so be careful of dosage. Please keep us posted...

3. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Thanks, I have tried googling the symptoms, but so many illnesses have the same symptoms it's really hard to know what to do. [​IMG]

4. lilchick

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Whenever I have a ? that cannot be answered on the net I call my local college. Purdue Univ. in Lafayette has a great vet program and someone there will help answer my ?
    Do you have a vet school there in texas that could help?

5. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    I actually have a friend that's a vet so I'll probably take her tomorrow and have him pull some blood on her so I know what I'm dealing with.
    I'm just sick about this because these Calls have absolutely stolen my heart and her being sick is just tearing me up.
    Hate feeling helpless. [​IMG]

6. lilchick

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I know how you feel about them cause my little brats are spoiled here. I had a tiny one hatch out with my help getting her out of the shell. I placed her in incubator and when I went to check on her the temp. had dropped and she was cold. I quickly placed her on a heating pad and stood watch over her. Then gave warm sugar water to revive her. She made it and is now a pretty little chocolate magpie called Tator Tot......

Good luck with her and let us know how she does..

7. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Thank you for your help and I'm glad your little one made it OK.

8. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    I don't know anything about duck illnesses but I am rooting for your little one. Calls are so bossy and noisy it is really upsetting to see them quiet and not feeling very well. Hope your vet friend can make her all better. Let us know how it goes.
    xxxxxxxx

9. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    i have been told(by a call breeder around me) when a duck has eye problems put one little drop of over the counter Asprin eye drops(or cream i for get what it is) And you are doing good putting in electrolytes and tetramyacin [​IMG] just keep a watch over her

10. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    we use baytril on our call ducks. They do get sinus infections sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by