Panting chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by andi13, Jul 23, 2014.

1. andi13

andi13 In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    Hey all! I am new to chickens, I just got my first four chicks today (all from the same farm and feed store) and all of them seem to be adjusting well. The only concern I have is one of my chicks (an ameraucana that seems to be a week or two older than the other three) has been, what looks a lot like panting. She seems to be eating and drinking well and has plenty of energy but she has the labored breathing that worries me. Is this something that I should be concerned about? Should I keep her away from the other chicks? I'm just really worried about her and I don't want her to be in pain or lose her. Any advice would really help! Thanks!!

2. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Hard to know without a pic or video, but you can give them all some boiled egg for nutrients. Is she doing it all the time? Is it possible she's too hot? Can she get away from the heat lamp?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  3. andi13

andi13 In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    She isn't doing it all the time but enough that I am concerned. I took a video and when I can figure how to post it I will haha. It's possible that she is just hot (it's been pretty hot here and should be getting hotter in the next few days) but I'm afraid to turn off the heat lamp because the other chicks are younger and I think need the heat

4. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Does she have enough room to get out from under the heat lamp?
    This was my brooder...
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: