panting chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueberrychickens, Jun 9, 2011.

1. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    It's hot & muggy today (as was yesterday) highs are in the 90's, the girls seem to be ok, but they are panting, standing around w/ beaks open, no wheezing sounds or anything. Is it normal for a chicken to pant when they are hot??? They have plenty of shade in the run & copius amounts of fresh h20.

2. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Mine R doing the same thing.

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Yes, it is 100% normal. Mine pant every summer. As long as they have lots of water, shade and hopefully a breeze they should be OK. You can also add frozen fruit, a fan, and a lot of people use frozen water bottles as well that they can sit against. (Mine hate them for some reason).

4. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Mine won't go anywhere near them either, they hate anything new. Except for their brand new nesting boxes, they loved those!!!!!

Quote:

5. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    good to hear its normal, I figured it was, poor girls, I'd hate to be wearing a down coat today!!

6. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Mine have been scarfing down frozen chopped spinach.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, mine pant, they also hold their wings a little away from their body. I can't get them to accept any form of water on the body or ice in bottles -- I've tried a number of things people talk about on here. Shade, breeze, fan -- they pant but they make it through. On really awful days I catch the ones I can and literally dunk them in a shallow pan of water, sloshing it all over their bellies and onto their necks. I wish they would catch on that this makes the panting and wing holding stop for a while. It helps that there is plenty of shady room for them to dig holes into the dirt -- I'll find half of them in a hole they've made.

8. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    misters help and i found putting a frozen jug of water in front of the fan works too, they will sit right in front of that cool air, and they love icecubes in a pan of water...

9. Sandy16

Sandy16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    also try slices of watermelon, yogurt, cold blueberries....our girls love all of those on hot days!

10. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Good to know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by