Panting Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chica Lady, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Chica Lady

Chica Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    The chicks will be 4 weeks old on Weds. When they are in the brooder box, I notice that they pant and also when they rest, they have their wings slightly open (Not all the way open, just slightly away from their body). Is it too hot in the box? I dont have a thermometer. The light I use is just a small table lamp with a shade and 100W bulb. I have left the box open for a little while and ...... ok, well I tried to leave the box open, but the kids closed it. Here are some pics. The box lifts off, for easy cleaning.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    if they're under the lamp and panting, yes they are to hot.

3. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Panting, wings open, all are signs of it being too hot. The chickens do that in the height of summer here. :lol: Some people move their chicks into an outdoor coop by four weeks old. If you can't turn the light down, you could try raising it, or providing an attached box for them to go into if they want to get away from the heat. (They look like they're feathering nicely already)

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Is the only ventilation that small square opening on the top? If so then yes, at their age, I'm sure they are getting to hot being in a mostly closed box with heat. I'd get rid of the lid altogether and just use a wire top.

5. Chica Lady

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    I have an old bunny hutch that I use for the older chickens, and the new coop/run is not ready yet. As soon as I get the coop/run finished, I will move the older chickens into that and the chicks into the hutch. Then, when the chicks are big enough, I will put them in the coop/run with the older ones. The older chickens are about a year old.

[​IMG]

Delta2 23, where are you? I am in MS. And thanx for the feathering comment. They are growing so FAST!!!! They are almost completely feathered. The temps here are about 60's at night and 80's or so during the day.

6. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    That's what my chickens do when they are in sun. It's always good to have a cool spot for them to retreat to in the brooder so they can self regulate when they are too warm.

7. Chica Lady

Mar 31, 2012
    Taylors, SC
    I used to have one of those lamps that clamps on and I could move it around, but with the bulb running 24/7, it melted the switch. Now I have the table lamp in there. I dont know how I'm going to move that one around. I might be able to put another block of wood there. Or I could just keep the top open, but I will still have to close it at night, because I dont trust my bigger dogs. The small one cant even get into it, but where it is now, she might be able to find a way.

8. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Yes, they look like they're growing up nicely. They'll appreciate being out in the hutch with a view of the garden!
    I'm in Australia. But it has been rather cool these past few years. It's rained a lot, but temps are still mild.

9. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Removing the top is a good idea, to get some ventilation going.
    Maybe you could just leave out the light altogether, and see how things go? Watch them, it will be obvious if they are cold. But sometimes chicks can stop having the light at four weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by