1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Panting hen in nesting box

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hernandez81308, Aug 5, 2013.

1. hernandez81308

hernandez81308 New Egg

Jul 15, 2013
    My hen has been seemingly stressed And panting, won't leave the nesting box. Is this normal?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Some do that when they are getting ready to lay an egg, but keep an eye on her.

-Kathy

3. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    Has she laid? No other issues? I'd check her rump after awhile and rule out prolapse vent or egg binding. But here its summer and the heat is brutal so she could just be Hot and wanna lay :)
    Mine pant when laying and harder when laying and its hot out. I put a frozen jug near by where mine nest to cool it off a bit on hot days.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  4. hernandez81308

hernandez81308 New Egg

Jul 15, 2013
    It's only about 68 here today thankfully. No egg prolapse either. She is just laying there. I have a silkie rooster he's 6 months old. Could she be broody? Thank you for your reply and the frozen jug idea!

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Wash your hands and very gently stick your finger in her vent to check for an egg. If you have gloves and KY Jelly, use them, but I often don't. You shouldn't have to go more than 1/2" to feel the egg. These pictures might help you feel your way around, lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    -Kathy

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by