panting, thin, duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kaumlauf, Mar 31, 2012.

1. kaumlauf

kaumlauf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Hi, I bought a few day or so old ducklings, and chicks, and now, a few days later, the "runt" of the duck group has not been doing well. He was small when I got him, and is still small. He is also panting and breathing heavily, like a person with asthma. The heat in their 6' x 6' enclosure is produced with 2 , seperate100 watt bulbs on either side, There is plenty of space in the middle that is cooler- so they can find a suitable spot, with a temp they like. Any help will be most appreciated- Kat

2. jess5254

jess5254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Maine
    I would take him out and give him some sav a chick, that way I could see if he drinking and eating. Hope evrything turns out okay.

1 person likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    He may have a respiratory infection. Can you get help from a waterfowl rehabilitator or veterinarian? He might need antibiotics.

Are they able to wash their heads every day? Sometimes things get stuck in their nares and become infected.

A nice warm (90 F) bath, just up to his belly, with you watching all the time for about five minutes may help. When he's done, take him to a clean dry warm brooder and towel him off with a dry washcloth.

4. kaumlauf

Nov 2, 2010
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Thanks for the recommendations. The ducklings have a waterer that allows for about an inch depth and 2" wide, around a circular column like a donut. I put them in a shallow bath to swim, then take them out after a few minutes. . The little one doesn't eat or drink, is wobbly and weak. In the bath he simply sits there, panting (he pants all the time), poor thing.

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If you can dip his bill in water with vitamins, or perhaps some Nutri Drench or chick savr, anything to get nutrients and calories into him.

Don't force anything down his throat and risk choking or aspiration.

But he will need some encouragement to thrive, if he can be turned around.

Is there a vet or rehabilitator you can contact?

6. kaumlauf

Nov 2, 2010
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Amiga, Thank you for the advice. there may be a rehabilitator nearby, but I am not sure I have the funds. There is a vet- but I really can't afford that. 10 years ago I had a pet rat that had some problems breathing (I think my roommate at the time accidentally stepped on him, and crushed some ribs)- anyway, I took him to the vet for a diagnoses, which set me back $30. I've given him some bird vitamins and sugared milk by dipping the tip of his beak in the solution, and he is sort of compelled to swallow it. Hopefully, this will give him some calories. I'll try this every hour or so.

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sometimes people will give some suggestions if they won't provide a pro bono exam or visit. But we do what we can with what we have. Nutrients, calories, water, warmth and peace and quiet are about the best you may be able to do. I just wonder if someone might know how much of what kind of antibiotic you might try. Have you tried posting on the emergency forum?

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I don't want to hold out false hope because it doesn't sound good to me.

However, you can go to the feed store and buy an envelope of antibiotic that is approved for poultry.

The directions are always 1 envelope for XX gallons of water. So you have to open the packet, measure all the antibiotic and then do the math to figure out how much powder for a small amount of water. Write all those figures down and keep them with the packet. It can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge, and, I guarantee, you won't remember how much to use the next time you use it if you haven't written it down.

You will have to dip the ducklings beak in it to make the duckling drink it. It doesn't taste bad. They drink it just fine, but your duckling is weak.

If you start antibiotics, it is important to give the full course and not stop as soon as the bird starts to look better.

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thanks, OB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by