Panting

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by k625, Sep 23, 2007.

1. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    My silkie chicks are now 6 weeks old, and have been living in their coop/run. It is mostly shaded, but does get some sun. I decided today that maybe they need some more sun, so I put them in the grassy area of the yard and they stretched out and seemed to be enjoying it. Did this for about no mor that 5 min, and then started panting heavy,and then headed for me in the shade. Are they just not used to that kind of heat? Or what is it?

2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Yep. And if they are normally confined to the coop or run you should start planning on what you're going to do to prevent them from over heating.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I took my 2 week old chicks out to the run for a few minutes, and they started panting, and stretching. I thought it might be stress of leaving the cage they've been in. Would they have stressed in a new environment?

4. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    There are plenty of places in the yard that are shaded, and they will have accees to water. I was thinking this time of year since it has started to cool I wont need to do too much, but next spring/summer when it really starts to get warm again I will put a fan in. I know some people say they are bad, but the breeder who I got mine from, she had fans and they would stand right in front of them when they got too hot...it was way too cute!! Any ideas what to do for the time being? I would like to let them roam and have some fun!

5. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    K625, Hi, I hope you don't think I hijacked your post, its just I went to post the same thing, and was suprised to see that it happened to you, too! Karen

6. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Stress can certainly cause a panting situation. Did you force them out into the open? That will do it but if they immediately began to explore their surroundings and behaved like chickens then they just were not used to the temp change.

I have three fans in my coop. Two are close to the floor on the North side of the coop so they are drawing in the cooler air near the ground. It was nothing for me to go in and find a whole flock of birds hunkered down right in front of them. When its not good is if its cold and the birds can not get away from it.

7. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    seminolewind, no prob, didnt even think like that at all. I do the same thing! [​IMG] Robin, thanks for the help. I did put them in the area, so that could have had alot to do with it. Wont do that agin! I will def. have to get fans for next year, since it is starting to SLIGHTY cool off here! Thanks agin so much!

8. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    We are in our fall "yo-yo" temperature swings. Todays high 93 yucky degrees.

The girls are not happy, and they are panting. So I give them ice cold watermelon on days like this. It really sems to help cool them down. The cool mellon and the juice works like magic. It helps anyway.

9. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Great to know, I will try that next time! [​IMG]

10. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    K625, I just noticed you live in Florida as well, and like me having to keep my chicks cool rather than warm!
    Ma, I think I'll try that cold watermelon thing when my chicks get bigger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by