paper eating chicks ;}

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fresh Eggs, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Hi,

I have 22 12 day old pullets that are eating pieces of paper towel and/ or cardboard! What should I do??[​IMG]

Danke,

Fresh Eggs

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Take it away and keep them on pine shavings, it shouldn't hurt them if it was only a bit but i wouldn't let them make a habit of it [​IMG] They may eat a few pine shavings too but i dont think you can get around that. They eat just about anything at that age

3. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Oh gosh, sounds just like mine when they were little. They had a hay day with paper towels. Being as ignorant as I was, I let it continue until they moved out of the brooder. [​IMG]

It won't hurt them any, but, like Chickenaddict said, just don't let them make a habit out of it. [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They're plenty old enough to be on shavings. Toss the paper towels.

5. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    so how long should you leave the paper towels in?

6. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Well.... thats the prob! I would LOVE to put them on the shavings, but I need a new box to do that, because It has been covered in poop, and it is getting alittle tight.

Thanks,

Fresh Eggs

P.S. How do I post pics of my girlies?

7. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    The way I post pics is I just upload them from my digital camera to the computer, and fix the lighting a little (which, of course, you don't need to do), save them to the computer (in .JPG, you might need to resize them too), and then log onto a free image uploader site like photobucket.com. After that, get the image URL that Photobucket gives you, click 'Img' when you are writing a comment on BYC, and then just paste the URL into the middle of the code BYC gives you.

I hope that made a little sense. [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [email protected] :

so how long should you leave the paper towels in?

Three or four days, until you're sure that they know what's their feed and what's not.
    I will tell a guilty little secret here. Before my chicks arrived I had everything all set up in their brooder, except I had forgotten to put down the paper towels. I realized it as we were moving them from the shipping box to the brooder and left my SO to watch the chicks while I ran to the house for the paper towels.
    My SO wanted to know what I was doing, so I explained. He just shook his head and asked me if I thought they put paper towels down in the commercial houses when they recieved shipments of 10,000 chicks per house. Of course they don't.
    So I didn't put paper towels down. I used large flake pine shavings and never had a problem with them eating the bedding.
    They knew where their food was.​

9. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    thanks for the reply

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My brooder is wire. I have a tray that I put pine shavings in that they like to lay in. Originally I put some paper towells in but they pooped all over the towling and was picking at it too so I took it out. My brooder stayed much cleaner. There is a picture on my BYC Page.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by