Paper shreddings as bedding?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by XilverAngel, Oct 17, 2009.

1. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    I was wondering, since we wanted to save some money by not buying pine shreddings, can we use paper shreddings instead? I noticed that they eat pine shreddings so i wasnt sure whether or not they would eat paper shreddings....if they do, that wouldnt be good would it?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I save newspaper and tear it into 1" strips. and use that in the coop. I put down a layer of the glossy ads first so cleanup is easy- just roll it up and throw away. Works great for me. My coop is dry so it doesn't get soggy, and I only have 4 hens. I think it wicks out the moisture so it is not smelly. It does take a lot of tearing to get enough, and it does get flattened by the chickens. I just add more.

Imp

3. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Quote:thanks for the reply! oh and we use shredded paper, do u have a shredder? just use the paper from that, it saves time and u dont have to rip it. [​IMG]

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Paper shreddings are better than straw but not as good as wood pellets. Still, I believe they are less expensive than the other options and they work fine.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:thanks for the reply! oh and we use shredded paper, do u have a shredder? just use the paper from that, it saves time and u don't have to rip it. [​IMG]

I do have a shredder, but it terrifies the cats. So I don't use it much. Someone here recommended using a rotary cutter. It works well also, but splinters the cutting board. Glad I was using scrap lumber that time.

Imp

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Instead of paper shredder, you still can use hubby's wood chip mulcher! Worked really well that one time and it makes a real fluffy bedding with bills and cancelled checks! And it works well for garden too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by