Paper thin egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gary palmer, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Gary palmer

Gary palmer Chirping

Jul 13, 2017
    Tonight when I went to collect eggs, I found 1 that was very soft and paper thin just dropped under the roost. I've never come across 1 like this before. They always have great shells. Had to toss it, almost busted in my hand picking it up. Has anyone else seen this before?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It happens....misfire in the shell gland or premature expulsion. Do you have new layers or birds just coming back into lay in your flock?

aart, Larry55, Plip and 2 others like this.
  3. Gary palmer

Gary palmer Chirping

Jul 13, 2017
    They've been laying for a while. Sounds like I shouldn't be worried if it's just something that happens. Thanks for the info.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It's only worrisome if it becomes routine vs a novelty

aart and ChickNanny13 like this.
  5. Gary palmer

Gary palmer Chirping

Jul 13, 2017
    Right on, thanks

6. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Free Ranging

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    It's not unusual from pullets as their reproductive system is maturing. If it happens with more mature layers it could indicate a lack of calcium and vitamin D (needed to absorb the calcium). Do you feed a good layers pellet and oystershell free choice? You could consider adding a tonic to their water. Keep an eye on her and if it only happens very rarely then its probably nothing to worry about. Do remove any soft eggs quickly because they are likely to eat them and that habit can be tricky to break.

Larry55 and Plip like this.
  7. LovinThisFarmGirlLife

LovinThisFarmGirlLife Songster

Feb 1, 2018
    Bow, WA
    I'm having the same issue as OP. I have 6 pullets and have found 4 eggs now that had paper-thin shells and were broken. I think I know exactly who is laying them, but I'm wondering how long this is acceptable before it becomes a problem? If it's normal for some pullets, how long is it normal for? I feed my chickens layer pellets and free choice oyster shells as well as dried mealworms as a snack every afternoon. Out of my 6 pullets, I know for sure two are laying and their eggs are just fine.

Joeschooks likes this.
  8. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Free Ranging

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    It sounds like they are getting all the calcium and nutrients that they need so soft eggs wouldn’t give me cause for concern with pullets. In fact I’d be surprised if you didn’t have a few strange eggs! Their reproductive system should mature within a few weeks in my experience.

LovinThisFarmGirlLife likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by