Paper thin eggs and laying outside of nest.

ChatKath47

Songster
7 Years
May 19, 2015
I have a Leghorn and two Americanas, the Leghorn will lay her nice, strong dense, large eggs in the coop, outside of the nest, if one of he other girls is occupying the nest. I don't have a problem with that, it just strikes me funny. One concern is that one of my Americanas has had "bumps" or "grit-like" deposits on her eggs, have no idea why that happens, the eggs are perfectly fine inside. The biggest problem is the other Americana laid and egg today that had a shell so paper thin my husband's thumb punctured it as he picked it up from the nest. When he brought it to me, I just scrambled it with some oatmeal and fed it to the girls, but am wondering WHY her egg was so thin? This is the first time there has been an egg so very thin! I feed my chickens Purina Layena pellets for layers and I add in the Manna Pro Omega Egg Layer supplement into the feeder when I fill it, both are supposed to be good for shell formation. I also pulverize their eggs in the blender and they love to pick it out of the feeder when I sprinkle it on the feed in the area from where they eat. A few days ago the narrow end of an egg was thin and the shell peeled from the egg in a small spot. This has me worried, what can I do differently? Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else had this problem, if so what did you do to correct it? Is it temporary? Help!!

Last edited:
My girls are four years old, great layers and great pets. This is the first time I've had this happen, but thanks to the link above, all my worries are gone. It's just a one time fluke. I also read in the same article another situation I encountered - deposits on the egg. Rough, grit-like bumps, and it says that's extra calcium...so I must be doing OK as the egg with the thin shell didn't happen again...so far, and Jane and Blondie get the same feed and supplements that Samantha gets. Samantha's eggs since then have been within the usual, firm shell. Thank you, Pugsabi, for the link! I do really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom