Paper towels/Chick bedding

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mistydbowen, May 4, 2012.

1. mistydbowen

mistydbowen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    just got my first chicks yesterday, so I have a lot to learn.

I put paper towels over my new chicks wood shavings so they wouldn't eat the shavings. I read I was supposed to somewhere. I was wondering how long should I keep them there? I've changed it twice already today and it's all covered in poo.

Also, the little chicks are getting a lot of poo on the bottoms of their bellies. I try to wipe it off but it's pretty sticky. Is that a big deal? I don't want to wipe too hard and hurt them.

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I would take the paper towels up and let them live on the bedding. I wouldn't worry about them eating the shavings too much.

As far as the poop, is it on their vent area (Butt)? If it is this is called pasty butt and it is very common in day olds. Get a wet paper towel and try to get the poop off. If it does not work, then dip their bottom in a little bit of warm water, and then try again. This should help to soften the poop.

Good luck with your new chicks. [​IMG]

3. chickielady70

chickielady70 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    Flat Rock, NC
    Someone with more experience may chime in here but we just hatched 11 last Sunday/Monday and I started them out in the brooder on puppy piddle pads. After 3 days (today) I put pine shavings over clean piddle pads and put their water on a piece of wood to keep it out of the shavings. Plan on changing the shavings and pads every day. They seem pretty happy and have had fun scratching in the shavings today! Just my 2 cents worth!

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    [​IMG]I brood mine in the coop like this: Here's the coop:[​IMG]

5. mistydbowen

Mar 7, 2012
    Thanks for the replies [​IMG] The pee pads are a good idea, I'm gonna pick some up tomorrow. I think I'm going to give them a couple more days before I put them directly on shavings. They seem to want to eat them.

7L Farm- Is your coop right on bare ground? You must live somewhere warm. Or maybe it just looks that way. Our coop is still under construction so they're in a plastic tote for now. Plus it's still too cold outside.

6. mistydbowen

Mar 7, 2012
    Thank you Sunny

It doesn't seem to be right on their bum, just kinda their belly area, between their legs. I've been checking for pasty butt. They seem happy and comfortable. But I'm going to try to clean them up again.

7. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    I have never layed paper towels over the shavings (though I have heard of many people doing this) And i have never had a problem...

8. Izzymoon

Izzymoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    My Coop
    I only put the paper towels in their safety zone where they sleep under the light now, the rest of the coop has shavings. They love digging around in it 3-1/2 weeks

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Yes, I live in Texas. The coop is on bare ground its real sandy here.

10. mistydbowen

Mar 7, 2012
    Update: So this morning I took the paper towels out, and put down a new layer of just shavings. They fell right asleep, all of them! They look the most happy and peaceful that they have since they've been here. [​IMG]

As I type this one chick just started chirping and woke everyone up. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by