Paper towels on floor?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coloradowildflower, Mar 20, 2017.

1. coloradowildflower

coloradowildflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    Hi all. I went into lockdown today, and I'd read that it was a good idea to put paper towels down to handle some of the slippery stuff that happens during hatching. I'd also read that the shelf liner was a good choice because it gave better traction for the little feet. So I put some paper towels down and covered that with shelf liner. But then I got worried: will the paper towels affect the humidity negatively? I mean, will they soak up the humidity that should be in the air?

2. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    I don't think it's going to affect your humidity. It may absorb some of that liquid but not enough to make a difference. I've actually thought about doing the same thing myself but because I wanted it to be easier to clean the incubator afterwards. I wanted a faster solution. Being able to just pick up paper towels and toss them would be a lot easier. Just monitor your humidity and adjust accordingly. But I think the paper tiles won't make a difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by