Paper towels to wood shavings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mahjongg90, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Mahjongg90

Mahjongg90 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2008
    Western Slope, CO
    Hi everyone. New to raising chickens here, and I already have a question. Is there any specific time I should introduce my chicks to wood shaving/sawdust? I've had them for 3 days now and they are all doing great! Any advice would be greatly appriciated!Thanks in advance
    -Steven

2. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    I keep my guys on hay..just my personal preference...gives them a good grip & something to dig around in.
    Kristi

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I had mine on the paper towels over shavings till they were 6 days old. [​IMG]

4. Kaneke

Kaneke Chillin' With My Peeps

shavings .. yeah ... sawdust, I'd say not ... too small and the chicks will pick it up and eat it .. plus they'll inhale the dust from it

5. Renegade

Renegade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    I use paper towels for 3 or 4 days then switch to my regular bedding. I use alfalfa pellets as my bedding. They are normally used to feed livestock but it makes great bedding material for chicks. It is very absorbent and it doesn't matter if a chick eats it.

Donna

6. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    My personal experience was that my week old chicks went nuts when I put them on shavings. I was concerned that they were eating a lot of the smaller shavings. I put them back on towels for another 4 days or so. They were a week and a half old at that point. By now I'm sure they know what is food and what is not. They still eat a few small pieces but I've observed them eating food and grit and they seem to be doing fine. I got a lot of different responses when I posted about this. I finally had to do what felt right to me. Good luck!

7. schmism

schmism Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    Peoria IL
    i put mine directly on planer shaveings (low dust) 3 ish days old. We line the bottom of the bathtub with 1-2 layers of paper then the shavings.

they will be 3 weeks old this fri. no probs

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  8. Mahjongg90

Mahjongg90 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2008
    Western Slope, CO
    Thanks guys, this really helped me out!

9. Meesh

Meesh Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I use alfalfa pellets as my bedding. They are normally used to feed livestock but it makes great bedding material for chicks.

Hey, that's a good idea. Since I feed alfalfa pellets to my roses, I'll have chicken-poop-alfalfa-pellets, which roses will love even more! I am upgrading it to Great Idea!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Michelle​

10. ebaribault

ebaribault Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    Antrim, NH
    What do you guys think about Alfalfa grass?My friend raises cows and she uses it for her chickens.
    I put some in the brooder and the poor little guys were afraid of it at first,so I sprinkled some starter crumbles in,and they all went nuts.

Is it ok to give chicks hay or straw for bedding?

Thank you,
    Ed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by