1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Paper towels VS Pine shaving

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SilkieChickenLover336, Apr 10, 2011.

1. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    Which one do you like?

Good about paper towels: Absorbent, chicks can easliy walk on it
    Good about pine shaving: Aborbent, low dust

Bad thing about paper towels: you can see how much they poop
    Bad thing about pine shaving: it is a giant hassle to clean, chicks can eat it and die

2. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Paper towels for 24 hrs, till they find the feed, then I pull the towels off the pine shavings and then watch them scratch and make a mess.[​IMG]

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Old school. I actually prefer good old fashioned straw. But, good clean, yellow straw is not easy to come by, in some places. It goes further and lasts longer. I've used chips, but if you do, make sure you get the super large ones, not the saw dust type. The latter are really awful.

4. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Paper towels for the first two weeks. Easy to change and I never have to move the chicks out of their brooder totes to change out the dirty for the clean.

5. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    I don't use either, I use sand! Actually I have only used it for a few days but so far it's been great! [​IMG] I use a hand held sieve to clean it. I keep a little trash can next to the brooder and it takes me about 30 seconds a day to sift out the poop. So far the smell has been good, as in not smelly!

6. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    i personally like the paper towels because it is easy to clean! i also like when i take them out for the first couple of weeks and they love scratching the ground!

7. txhomegrown

txhomegrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Como, TX
    Quote:x2

8. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I like the sand idea. It sounds easier to clean. But I have used pine shavings. I didnt even think about using sand. Great idea! I think I am going to start using it!

9. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

I like the sand idea. It sounds easier to clean. But I have used pine shavings. I didnt even think about using sand. Great idea! I think I am going to start using it!

I bought childrens play sand from the hardware store, not the colored stuff. You do have to put it in several days before you get your chicks so it dries out in time.​

10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Straight onto pine shavings. No paper towels or anything else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by