Paper Towels vs. Shavings for 3 Day Old Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BantyChickenLuv, Jan 17, 2013.

1. BantyChickenLuv

BantyChickenLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    Is it better to use paper towels or shaving for 4 day old chicks? I'm getting mine tomorrow, (6) and I'm pretty sure they hatched on Monday. Why do so many people use paper towels for the first week or so? I'm debating if I should put shavings (what I normally use for chicks.) or paper towels in the brooder right now.
    Thanks, Banty

2. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I do paper towels for weewee pads for the first two days so that they learn what's food and what's not. Sometimes chicks will try and eat the bedding if they are put on shavings first.

3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I always tried to go to day five with paper towels. I kept having chicks that decided the smaller flakes were food. :/

4. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I was going to go with paper towels on top of shavings for a few days. I hear they may try to eat the shavings mistaking it for food. Also read to put some food right on top of the paper towels a day or 2 until they can all find the feeder.

But - since I've never had a chick in my life maybe I'm completely off [​IMG] just relaying what I read and what I'm going to do

Best of luck and I'm sooooo jealous. I have to wait until April

5. BantyChickenLuv

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    Thanks everyone. I guess I'll set up the brooder with paper towels. I'll post pics of the chicks tomorrow:) I've been waiting for these guys for 4 months now and just got the call that they would be here on Friday Tuesday.

6. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I have 25 bantams coming tomorrow morning and I am super excited this is the 2nd time I have ordered form Ideal poultry and I highly recommend them. I have 20 eggs in the incubator also. Every time it is brand new all over again and I get excited like a kid on xmas eve lol. I use the non slip shelf liner int eh bottom for the first week. then I add shavings in ontop of the liner. I like to keep the liner in for grip. I made a new brooder because I have 16 1 month olds in a brooder in my master bathroom. The eggs due to hatch the end of the month and then these bantams coming tomorrow as a bday gift, thank you mom. So I have one more brooder to make. This one for the new arrivals tomorrow is a playpen for babies. I converted it into a brooder. I just have to make a top for it and I covered the mesh sides to hold in heat. simple. Good luck with yours. Post pics.

7. BantyChickenLuv

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    I ordered mine from Duane Urch as I am planning on showing them. They are Heritage RIR rose comb Bantams. We built a new brooder too, it's huge, I could put 25 chicks in there no problem. It will also double as a quarantine pen for new birds.

8. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    When will your arrive? Isnt it exciting everytime?

9. BantyChickenLuv

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    I'm picking them up tomorrow evening. They have arrived though, a friend is taking care of them for me right now.

10. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Wonderful. Mine arrived this morning. 35 chirping chicks only 3 DOA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by