Paper Towels?

havi

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Waco, Texas
My babies are now 11 and 12 days old..what I'm wondering is..my brooder is a huge wire cage that I have put trash bags under the cage and then filled it(the cage) with 1-2 inches of pine shavings and then put paper towels on top of that. I just change the paper towels everyday. I just noticed that they seems to pick at the paper towels and tear it up. There are huge holes from them pecking at it and whatnot. What I'm wondering is, should I just take the paper towels up and use just the shavings? Im not sure if the chicks are eating the paper towels or not.

Quote:
Paper towels would usually just be necessary for the first 2 or three days.

They discourage the babies from eating the bedding, and help them find food. After that, just remove them completely.

Hi! I would take the paper towel out. I just use shavings after the first 5 days. My chicks always peck at the paper towel or newspaper that I put down.

Okay thanks! I think I'll do that in just a little while.

I had to take the paper towels out because they were scratching at it and pecking at it. They are 1 week old (I have only had them for 4 days) and I took it out yesterday. They LOVE the shavings, they are scratching them everywhere! They also love to nuzzle down into it and sleep or just sit & watch the others, too cute!
love.gif

I took the paper towels out the other day. They LOVE the shavings! They scratch around in it and throw it all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom