Paper wasps appear to be very bad this year

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ralleia, May 6, 2011.

1. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    Paper wasps have built multiple nests around my home and somewhere in the chicken coop. I'm having trouble using two of the three doors to my house and trouble going into the chicken coop.

They appear to be mostly the imported European paper wasp (black & yellow, more aggressive than the American variety, and more apt to build a nest right next to where humans frequent).

I am only providing this as an anecdotal clue that paper wasp numbers may be higher than usual, at least in Nebraska. I pay particular attention to them after receiving multiple stings one summer. I now eradicate every nest within 20 feet of the house, coop, garage, and gardens.

2. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    we used to have problems with wasps and hornets building at our last house. it was in the woods with a pond nearby, so was perfect for them with food and water nearby. we couldn't walk to the garage without being dive-bombed (some will give a warning first, and will just fly into you).

we hired a pest control service to come spray the house every month for $35/month. then i noticed on their bill, the name of the chemical they were using - Talstar 1.

if you go to a pest control site, such as domyownpestcontrol or doyourownpestcontrol , you can find it and its IDENTICAL generic (literally, it is the EXACT same thing), Bifen IT. I bought a quart of Bifen IT for the same price it cost me to have them come out one time! i still use it on my current house, and we don't have any problems with bees, wasps, etc.

it is not a knockdown agent, so don't go at them during the day, because it will take a while for it to kill them. while it will kill them, it is more of a deterrent so they don't build at all.

my house is roughly 2200 square feet, and spraying the base, the eaves, all the cracks and crevices, i can get it all with 4 gallons of spray (using 1 oz per gallon of water).

kills/repels ants, spiders, bees, pretty much everything. supposed to last for 3 months, and it's nonstaining.

i highly recommend this to everyone who has insect problems (which is pretty much everyone) [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  3. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    I have that problem every year. I just get some good wasp spray and take them out at night when they arent flying around. Usually does the trick.

Rammy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by