Papercrete?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by attimus, Feb 5, 2015.

1. attimus

attimus Chillin' With My Peeps

Just looking for anyone with a bit of experience with it. About to start a big project and thought it sounded like a good idea.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've played with it a bit....what's the project?
    Something for chicken coops?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  3. attimus

Oh nice. Planned for the pond. Curious about ratios and mixing methods for consistency. And it viability with holding water.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Like a duck pond?

Papercrete for a water holding vessel?...I wouldn't recommend it.

It's been so long since I played with it for an artsy project,
    maybe there are papercrete products out there that would hold water,
    but I doubt it.

Might want to ask in the BYC Hobbies forum or find a papercrete forum online somewhere.

5. attimus

Thanks. I've done a little looking into it but nothing substantial. Some people have mentioned using a billboard tarp as an alternative to concrete. I'm not sure what I plan on doing yet.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I read that papercrete soaks up water like a sponge. Not water-resistant.

7. attimus

I came a cross some info about that but I guess I wanted to here it from the horses mouth so to speak

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Check out pond liners? I think people use them a lot to make fish ponds on the cheap (er). Not sure about ducks though if that is who it is for. You would want to be able to drain it somehow I suppose??

9. attimus

I have plans drawn up that include drainage also wanted to look into windmill pumps for natural water flow. The plans are quite large for liners. And I want to grow plants around and or in so the billboard idea doesn't seem ideal. Would also like to add fish at some point. I use my current waterfall pump turned around on my garden to empty my existing pond.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by