Parakeet bites?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Bettacreek, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Well, I haven't taken the time to try to tame the parakeets, and I'd really like to. To be honest, the main reason I haven't tried yet is because I'm afraid of them! Lol. Does it hurt if they bite? Are they going to be able to draw blood, or is it just like a pinch?

2. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    It really isn't terrible. yes they can draw a little pinhole of blood but usually just pinch you!

I'd give it a shot!

3. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I tried and tried to tame mine and never could. I think they have to be handled as babies to be tame. I got tired of being bit. When I got my chickens I sold them.

4. First To Hatch

First To Hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    We'll if you have two parakeets that you got at the pet store or somthing that are caged together, then you'll prolly never be able to tame them, when two are afraid of huans they're going to bond and never want to bond with you. Depending on how old they're it might be to late.... you could seperate them into different cages and rooms, then all you need to do really do is just go sit near them every day talk to them read a book outloud near em etc then get them to not fly away when you put your hand in the cage and so on and so on. Personaly I plan on getting one male at first teaching him everything I would like him to know then if I decide I'm up for breeding them I'll get a female and she'll see the male interacting with me and won't be so scared. But right now I think I just want one male as a pet and maybe breed finches or doves.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask I read enough about them to prolly know everything used to have them back in the day but back then I had no idea they could be tame and stuff lol.

5. blasto

blasto Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Richmond
    Quote:duskncover must have thinker skin than I do [​IMG]. Then again, I used to have a little devil-bird who was the meanest creature I had ever seen. When an untamed parakeet gets out, he usually does his best to hide/fly/run away from you. Not this little guy. He would attack!

Anyhow, aside from that, we were able to at least finger-tame all of our other birds over the years. It is a lot harder to tame them when they are housed together, but it is doable. Two or three mini-session a day seemed to work in most cases. The super-tame and lovey parakeets we had over the years were all the ones we got young and housed separately, at least until they were tame and bonded with us. After that, they could go in together (our sweetest one was actually the cage mate of the devil-bird for years) without losing their nice personalities.

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Females bite harder and most will bring blood, male dont normaly bring blood.

How old is the parakeet, any can be tamed. but any near 6 months or older are very hard.

If you have pic, may be able to tell if it older than 6 months.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    paried parakeets like someone else said are very hard to tame...you can however get them to the point they knwo that biting you gets them no where...

Either bite your tounge when the pain comes and dont move (they will eventually stop biting you) or wear gloves and hope they bite the glove more than your skin.

It hurts bad, and they can do a number on you (esp the females like deerman said).

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    its just a little pinch...get one that is very young..you can tame them out....now if you want to talk about hard bites....try my african grey parrot...UGH!..[​IMG]

9. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:a little pinch!?!?! LOL you're just desensitized by your african! LOL! My parakeet hens have taken chunks out of me... they're as bad as a mean rat bite! LOL! So you shush! LOL! You tough bird biteee [​IMG]

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:a little pinch!?!?! LOL you're just desensitized by your african! LOL! My parakeet hens have taken chunks out of me... they're as bad as a mean rat bite! LOL! So you shush! LOL! You tough bird biteee [​IMG]

yeah, you are probably right..Max toughened me up to bird bites... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by