Parakeet showed up in my backyard for a week now

Sueie

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2017
Massachusetts
I have a parakeet in my yard for about a week now because I feed all of the birds and the parakeet eats several times a day here. I put food out several times a day for all of the birds. He eats only seed. I tried to give him other fruits and veggies but he didn't touch them. I don't know what to do because we live in MA. Its summer now (although its only 59 degrees here today, on July 24 abd it was 85 - 90 all week, very strange), but soon it will be Fall and then freezing Winter. I googled and asked if parakeets can live outside and I came across this forum. I don't know where Budgie came from (that's what we call him), he just appeared one day about a week ago now. He is yellow and green with little, little short legs and walks around very fast eating, eating, and eating. All of the other birds, esp. the grackles seem to be afraid of him, I think because they see he is so different. We do occasionally get hawks of different varieties that come through too looking for lunch or breakfast and Budgie sticks out like a sore thumb and his colors are so bright I'm afraid he is going to get picked off first. I've tried to get him to go on my finger but he won't. He lets me walk right up to him and my husband too. My hand/finger I offered him was 3 inches from him tonight. He is now sitting out in tree above my shed where he's been for about 2 hrs. now. I don't know if I should try to catch him or just let him be. Maybe he likes being free and if he does, I'd feel bad forcing him to live in a cage. Any comments about that anyone?

I also know if he doesn't leave this area by Fall he will die out there in the Winter, as it gets very, very cold here in MA some days and some winters we get a lot of snow too. I can't see him surviving here in the Winter?? I don't know anything about them. I wonder if he will know to fly south? I wonder where he came from? He must have escaped from someone's house, I just don't know. May I have all of your comments please? I've never owned a bird before but I have rescued a sulcata tortoise that was being mistreated so he's now mine, (not that I wanted one but the ppl who had him were literally killing him by feeding him wrong, putting him in a pen with toxic pine shavings as the substrate, never lettering him outside, no calcium or nutrition) so my husband asked if he could take him and the people said yes, take him, so he's now here! I am 55 yrs. old and he is going to long outlive me so I think I'd better start looking to rehome him to a state where its warm year round - - anybody want a sulcata who is about 5 yrs. old?? He's very sweet. My husband knows I'm not really a reptile person but he knows I'm such an animal lover, and he likes turtles and tortoises, I guess he banked on my letting the tortoise stay. I have a 16 year old Beagle too, who is close to the end of life right now. BUT I've never owned a bird. Budgie is sure cute enough and seems very sweet. I think he may be getting used to us because we keep feeding him and talking to him whenever we can and offering him our hand, but he won't jump on to my finger. Any suggestions anyone, or any Parakeet owners? I wonder if any of you who have had their parakeets fly away could tell if he could be yours if you had a yellow and green one. His head has no pattern on it, its just plain yellow but he has little black and white patterned little things next to his mouth/nose. I look forward to reading your comments on this forum. and let me know what you think I should do - - catch him or let him be and if I should catch him, how? Do you think that he will eventually go on to my finger if I keep trying??.
Thanks,
Sue

Welcome aboard! :frow I am clueless about how to train a parakeet. :oops:
We are glad you joined our flock.
This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Parakeets can survive with low temps in the 40's for short periods. I don't think he'd survive the winter and likely does not have the experience or instinct to know to fly south.

For now, I'd continue to try to gain his trust with the food treats with the intent of eventually trying to catch him. You might try to entice him with a spray of millet held out towards him so that he comes to you. If you are able to gain his trust enough for him to step up to your fingers and stay for a bit, the next step would be to gently cup his back with your other hand so that you can keep him from spreading his wings and taking off. Lastly, if things are getting desperate and he's reluctant to step-up, you and your husband can be a tag team, one of you gets the bird close by offering treats then the other toss a towel completely over him (including over his head) so that he doesn't fly, quickly but gently scoop him up wrapping the towel around him as you do so, transport him into you home still covered in the towel. Pet birds will generally calm when wrapped in a towel as long as their head is also covered (keeps them from biting as well). My daughter and i use this technique when we need to clip our 2 cockatiel's and 1 conure's toes or otherwise need to examine them in some way.

My daughter is the pet bird expert of the family, I'll ask her later what she thinks. If she has any sage advice, I'll post again.

The little guy was probably a pet and escaped. Take a picture and post signs around the area, maybe the owner will find the signs and know where the little guy is at. Knowing how flighty Parakeets are I don't think he will step up on your finger. You can try to entice him with food and catch him using a net, blanket, towel etc. I don't think he would be able to survive the whole winter. Knowing he is a pet he will not know how to forage for food (hence him coming to you for food). His survival instincts are weak since he was probably a pet and given food, water, and in a cage protected from predators.

Domesticated birds usually do not last long in the wild as they don't know how to forage or what predators to look out for. I had a quail escape on me and he was gone for a few days but eventually made his way back (I thought for sure he'd be a snack for a local cat). He was very hungry - I don't think he'd found much of anything to eat.

You could try putting out a cage with food inside, especially millet, with maybe a trail of seed leading in? That's how we caught a dove that flew into our place and kept landing on our heads, but was scared of hands, so we couldn't grab it. It wasn't a wild dove - they are terrified of humans and fly off if you even look in their direction.

Good luck!

Good Luck with him!!
if i were you (unless you want to keep him) i would also post an add on clist in your local area saying that you found the bird BUT dont post pictures make the people give a description or something to make sure the right people are getting him back

Though i would love to see him ;)

Hi, I am new here too, but I have had a lot of pet birds.

I have had a lost parakeet come right into the house. They see the food my other birds are eating, and want the company of the other cage birds sometimes. I would move the feeder closer to the house each day, until it is right by your door, then inside the door of your house. You could put the feeder into a small dog carrier, if you do not have a bird cage. The parakeet will not be afraid of a cage, a cage is home and safety to a pet parrot.

When the parakeet comes inside to the feeder, close the door (to the house). Then, you will have time to get a towel or have him step up. Not all parakeets know how to step up, sometimes they could be very young and just purchased when they flew. Once, I was given a cockatiel which just walked up to a person on the street, tired and hungry. I had her for about 20 years, a wonderful pet.
Best of Luck

Back
Top Bottom