Parakeet with mites

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Lady507, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Lady507

Lady507 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2016
    My Coop
    I have a parakeet that seems to have gotten mites. The beak is all scrappy and keeps growing without stopping. I am trying vaseline mixed with an ultra care mites and lice spray that I bought. It has worked on previous parakeets but it doesn't seem to be working for this one. Does anyone have any tricks or medicines that they can recommend me to be able to help my parakeet. Thank you in advance.</p>

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  2. Hatching

Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    I'm in a similar situation. Someone caught a parakeet in my jobs parking lot and I took it home. I saw it has scaly mites, not too bad, a little overgrown beak but still eating fine; nails were longer than usual but ok; and some scaly buildup only around one eye but only the size of about a grain of rice.

I went to petco and bought UltraCare 8 in 1 mite and lice spray. Any thoughts on if this works on scaly mites or if it works at all, if so maybe some can chime in and say if it can work for OP's issue too

3. Lady507

Mar 8, 2016
    My Coop
    Thank you for answering. I'm going to try out that spray and see if it works. My parakeet is in the exact same condition as yours. Hopefully we will be able to help them both

4. Hatching

Jan 2, 2014
    I just finished my second treatment. The bottle says no more than 2 treatments a week but it doesn't say how many you should do in total. Reading online I've read it's also help to miss the spray with a little olive oil, Vaseline or even camamile tea and apply directly to problem areas such as feet, cere and (eyes??)

I may try that too in a couple days

5. Lady507

Mar 8, 2016
    My Coop
    Thank you so much this is great help. I'll buy this spray and mix it with Vaseline. Thank you so much again.

6. Hatching

Jan 2, 2014
    I tried the spray mixed with Vaseline on a q tip directly to the scaly area and I suggest if you try it have a plain q tip AND the medicated q tip because the budgie will try to bite it if it goes around the beak as I learned so I would go in first with the plain let him bite the plain let go and then go in the the medicated one while he was distracted

Still no change in the scaly appearance though.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  7. Lady507

Mar 8, 2016
    My Coop
    The q-tip idea is really good I'm definitely doing that. Thank you for answering! [​IMG]

8. Hatching

Jan 2, 2014
    I still haven't seen a change in the growths. It actually ended up being all the way around the beak and the one eye. I'm waiting to see if the scaly stuff falls off maybe?

I've been apply the spray directly into the scaly bits instead of just spraying the bird like the directions say

9. Lady507

Mar 8, 2016
    My Coop
    I am applying it and it does seem to be improving a little. I will write soon and tell you if it went away completely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by