Parakeets and chickens

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by KDailey, Jun 28, 2011.

1. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    So I'm in the process of planning a coop for my first chicks for when they grow up. I also have 2 parakeets in the house, that to tell you the truth aren't turning out to be my cup of tea. I love to look at them but they never have tamed up enough to hold them, etc and they're making a bigger mess than I was told that they would. Mainly just thowing food everywhere and then my chihuahua puppy eats it, we step on it with bare feet, etc.

So here's my question: When we build the coop we will be using hardware cloth instead of chicken wire for safety. It will be covered so nothing can come in from the top and get my babies. I was wondering if I would be able to put my parakeets in the coop/run with the chickens. Obviously this would be after the chickens were grown so I'm not suggesting this with chicks. The parakeets wings are clipped but it's been a couple months now and they're getting to where they can kinda fly a little. By the time the chickens are ready for the coop I would think the parakeets could fly well.

Do you think it would be safe for all birds in question?

2. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen my chickens go after small song birds. I would be really afraid for your parakeets with the chickens. I know you're not crazy about them but one good peck from a chicken and you've got a dead 'keet or a severely wounded one. That's not fair to the parakeets.

You could always re-home them if you really don't want them any more.

3. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Id say no, I just caught one of the buffs beating the hell out of a broody to steal a chick and eat it. Even between the broody and the rooster giving the buff heck she still killed it before I got it away from her.

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

The zinc in the hardware clothe is not good for hookbills. They come in contact with it when grabbing the wire - where a soft bill (like finch/canary) does not use its beak for climbing.

zinc poisoning:

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/zinc.html

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    No. Chickens will kill your parakeets. No doubt in my mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by