1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

parakeets beak?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by katssmilin, Jul 7, 2012.

1. katssmilin

katssmilin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    My Mother in law has a parakeet that his beak just keeps growing. She has a cutter bone in the cage but she has had to cut his beak 2 times in the last 8 months because his beak grows down to his chest. Is this normal?

2. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Seems very strange. But I guess is okay as long as she does keep it trimmed. I recommend possibly a sand coated perch. They work really well, and my bird will scrape his beak against it all the time. He isn't a fan of cuddle bones either.

3. miss blue

miss blue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    uk
    dose he have any wood to chew on ? some birds will need thier beak trimmed every 6-12 months some never do. i would give more chew toys that should help

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    If the little fella has stuff to chew on but his beak is continuing to grow down to his chest, he might have a slight misalignment that prevents natural trimming to take place. Also, mites can evade the beak and the bird might not use the beak normally resulting in a dagger-like beak. Rarely, disease may cause this problem. Lack of proper nutrition can cause this also.

It is normal for Parakeet's beak to grow. In a natural situation the parakeet constantly uses his beak to eat seed, fruit, leaves and grasses which allows the natural trimming process to take place.

5. katssmilin

katssmilin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Thanks for the advice everyone I will pass this on and see how he does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by