Paralised Silkie

Hoolie

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 11, 2007
Just found my 9 month old silkie hen on its back.

Her head looks like it is upside down and she seems to be having fits or spasms.

Have put her in a brooder with a red heat lamp to see if she comes round.

Everything seems normal in the coup, the other silkies are fine.

Anybody have any ideas what could be wrong with her and is there anything I can do to help her.

the best thing to do is to take her to a vet, i think he will do much better then me telling you.

Some silkies, especially large crested ones, have a literal hole in their skull that are a result of having a vaulted skull leading to that big crest. It is very well possible that she may have bumped in to something hard or was pecked on and it caused brain damage. Not much you can do for brain damage if that is what happened. If you have the funds, a vet may be able to make a different diagnosis.

unfortunately , not many vets know about the skull anomaly in the silkie breed...and while their are many things that cause this symptom (the worse being botulism for which there is really no treatment per se) in silkies it is often caused by a peck on the head ... here is my thread on it and Alan Stanfords treatment article (for when it is caused by brain inflammation) which is the very first link...
http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=emergencies&action=display&num=1160928615

Back
Top Bottom