Paralized chicken

farmer kell

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 24, 2012
I wanted to re post this with more detail. I have a game hen who is 18 weeks old. Going on two weeks ago she began stumbling in the yard and falling over. There are no signs of injury. We separated her from the rest of the chickens, and within a day she couldn't walk at all, she kind of hops around on her stomach and her legs are mostly pointed backwards . she can move her wings a little bit and hold her head up good. Her rear is caked in poop but I'm not sure if its just because she cant stand to keep clean doesn't seem to be diarrhea from what i can tell and no discoloration. She wasn't eating very well that we could tell and she would drink if we put her beak in the water. My husband bought this stuff from tractor supply cant remember the name of it but it is a powder you can sprinkle in the chicken coop on the chicken and in their food that is supposed to get rid of worms ticks lice and etc. Two days later we purchased some duryramicin antibiotic and put it in her water. The next day went to check on her and still no change in movement but she drink and ate very well today. Just wish i knew what was wrong, and what to do and if she will walk again. Thank you to those who replied before any info is much appreciated.

Has she ever been wormed?I would worm her with safeguard liquid goat wormer, 1/4 cc in mouth them three ccs in a gallon of water for five days. Incase she has a parasite that is causing her to become weak. Also give her some vitamin E , opened gel caps on her food or in her mouth encase she suffered some type of injury.
Mareks diease is a possibility at her age, but I would think she would have deterrieated by now if that was her problem.

Marek's is a good possibility, I've had up to 2 years old suffer and die from it.
But I would certainly try all other measures like vitamins, worming, or injury , like Chickenzoo says.

I am having a similar problem (she walks like the is drunk, and one foot seems to be loosing its grasping ability when I hold her) with a 17 week old. We have isolated her in a cat carrier and cleaned the coop. The coop and run have been appropriately sprinkled with DE in case its mites. I am wondering about a vit deficiency as an alternative. I have added yogurt to her diet. And I picked up some "Durvet" for the others to prevent any further issues if that's the case. They are all still on chick starter until they begin laying (as I was told to do by our feed store). I suspect a Riboflavin deficiency or mites after searching and finding no other match to her symptom. Input?

Momma, it sounds like Marek's , but it would take a good flock history and possibly another victim to say for sure. I think I would give her vitamins and look to see if you find any bugs. And worm her like Chickenzoo said.

Back
Top Bottom