Paralized

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by debradee, Jul 1, 2011.

1. debradee

debradee New Egg

Jul 1, 2011
    I came home from Va to find that I had hatched nine Chicks and a hen that was paralized. I had no clue. My husband was left in charge. The hen had mites and I have treated her and the pen with sevin and I was wondering is she will walk again. She eats and drinks fine and her head is mobile but not her legs. I have had chickens for about a year and this is the first time I have ever had any disease or problems with them.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    How old are the chicks when they showed paralysis?
    How long were they with the hen?

First thing I would do is throw out the feed, and check the surroundings for possible mold.

Were the chicks born that way or is this following exposure to the hen?

3. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

How long has she been like this?

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    How old are the chicks when they showed paralysis?
    How long were they with the hen?

First thing I would do is throw out the feed, and check the surroundings for possible mold.

Were the chicks born that way or is this following exposure to the hen? or other chickens?

5. debradee

debradee New Egg

Jul 1, 2011
    The chicks aren't paralyzed. Just the Hen that was sitting. She has been like this since I can home from Virginia on Tuesday. I have cleaned out her roost and everything.

6. debradee

debradee New Egg

Jul 1, 2011
    And none of the other Chickens that were in that coop seem to have been infected. All I noticed were Mites and I dusted her with Sevin like the I read to do and I cleaned all the nesting boxes where I found her and put sevin in the chickens dusting areas.

7. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Wish I could help,. I've never had this problem,.. someone will be along with more experience than I.

8. debradee

debradee New Egg

Jul 1, 2011
    Yeah I have never had any problems in the year I have had them either. Everything that I have read says that maybe wild fowl have gotten into my coop and placed the mites. Idk. But thank you for looking anyways.

9. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    What exactly is paralyzed? Are you sure she's not broody? Are there any other symptoms?

10. cocosandy

cocosandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    was she vaccinated for Mareks disease when she was a chick? is it her entire body or just one side? is she eating and drinking?....be sure to put a little cup of food and water near her and the chicks. if she cant get around at all, prepare a brooder for the chicks.
    Mites are common and Ive found them to be worse in the NE this year because of the crazy weather and so much rain. I would probably use poultry dust rather than sevin around the chicks; I reserve sevin for really resistant cases of mites.
    It is common for mites to attack a weak chicken, and it comes on really quickly. If they cant dustbath or move, then all sorts of things can happen seemingly overnight.
    I just had a little roo who suddenly got mareks or something like it and was limping around...next thing I knew he was covered with mites, poor guy!
    He lay in the coop and could raise only his head and shoulders to eat and drink. I kept him fed and watered, but he died within a week....I had eradicated the mites as soon as I saw them and Im checking my broodys, and discouraging broodiness in general this year...but if you have more broodys, make sure they are getting up and that they arent harboring any mites.
    Keep putting DE and poultry dust in the dust baths and around the coop. wear a mask when you do it! you could also try some pour on eprinex.
    The paralysis could be from many things. Around here its generally in unvaccinated chickens. Mareks is everywhere so its best to get vaccinated chicks and vaccinated incubator ones.
    I would contact your state vet extension and have her necropsied to see what it was...doesnt sound like she will be taking care of the chicks, and the other birds might hurt them. so get either all of them into a rabbit cage or dog crate, or take the babies into a brooder.
    sorry that you have to go through this....mites on a rundown bird are the worst! good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by