1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Parallel Perch Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Linda in San Diego, May 12, 2008.

1. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    We are constructing our coop and it looks like parallel perches will work best. I have 2 questions really. !) How many inches per standard sized hen? 2) With parallel perches, how far apart should they be? Thanks - I have 12 chickletts and the coop is to be ready by next weekend when they are 4 weeks old.

2. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    large breed 12" per bird, smaller breeds 10" but they will still crowd tightly together to sleep,

3. schmism

schmism Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    Peoria IL
    Quote:is this also a foot? i have the same question as im about to redo the roost layout in my coupe and am considering parallel (at the same elevation) roosts.

4. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    For large breeds we put them 16 inches apart.
    For small breeds, we put them 12 inches apart.

Hope this clears it up for you.
    Jean

5. Linda in San Diego

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Thanks! I have 12 chicks, 4 weeks next weekend - and the coop should be ready by Sunday. In a 4 x 4 x 5 foot house - with a spacious yard, we are realizing that perches are going to be a problem and we are trying to modify the design to make it prime for the hens. I read that the night perches should start 24 inches above the floor, does that sound right? [​IMG]

6. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    All 14 of my big chickens squeeze into 8" feet of roost. They have two 8 foot roosts but they all like the higher one, which is probably four feet high.

I don't know what I'm going to do when my 6 babies move in, maybe put another roost at the same height.

7. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    In pens where the chicks are growing, we start with roosts at about 24 inches from the ground, but in the hen house, they are between 3 and 4 feet from the ground.

Now, if we use a ladder type roost, then we start at between 1 and 2 feet from the ground and go up.

I like the roosts all the same height, the hens don't seem to fight over the best spot to roost as much.

Jean

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Gosh, this is good news. I never thought of roosts at the same height, that's a good idea. Thanks!!

9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

You could consider a latter roost, where the roosts are technically parallel, but at different heights![​IMG]

10. Linda in San Diego

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    We went for a big X in the coop at 24 inches. This gives us about 10 feet of perch for our Lovely Dozen. It is starting to come together. We have some pictures that will get posted soon. This is too fun, unfortunately, I have to get grades into the system for my students and I will need to work at school later for the next two days....<sigh> I want to finish the coop! DH is doing a great job though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by