Paralysis and Respiratory symptoms?

ameliadanielle

Songster
Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
I've been searching the internet for a month, reading forums, reading up on any chicken illness I can and I can not figure out what is going on. A month ago I had a hen that was walking funny, and mostly laying down. I thought she may be eggbound. As there were no other symptoms I treated for that even though I didn't feel an egg, I had nothing else to go on. I brought her in, gave her calcium, lots of fluids, gave her a warm bath which she greatly enjoyed. No change. The next day she had respiratory symptoms and a bubbly eye. I treated her with silver, her strength came back her lungs cleared and last her eye cleared. I also treated the whole flock with silver even though they showed no symptoms. I used silver because I keep it around the house, it's pretty broad on it's use and I can use it on all my animals. I never figured out what was wrong with her.

Yesterday I find a hen exhibiting the same symptoms. I don't feel an egg, so I skip trying to treat her for that and go straight to treating her with silver like I did the previous hen. Sure enough this morning she had some respiratory symptoms. I'm sure since I started giving her silver earlier it helped as tonight her respiratory symptoms are gone. Except, she is weaker and has little control over her body. When I got home from work she was laying on her side and had been pooping on herself all day. Her poop appears normal, except for some recent watery droppings but that is not surprising. She didn't eat today while I was at work so all she had this morning were the fluids I gave her and the dose of silver. She couldn't reach the food and water as she had scooted herself away from it. So I just spent half an hour droppering water into her mouth and feeding her by hand. I heard some gurgling the first couple of droppers of water I gave her that seemed to be coming from her digestive tract.

I don't know if this is the same illness, but it has only affected two Gold Laced Wyandotte hens, I know they are different hens because the first hen to get sick has a rusty gold coloring to her feathers and this one is the one with a more yellow gold look. It hasn't affected the silkies, the buff orpingtons, the red stars, the rhode island red, or the 4 wyandotte pullet chicks. That's also a little strange to me.

My husband said if she is worse in the morning he is going to put her down. I am using the silver because honestly I don't even know what this is. I don't know if it's bacterial, viral... I wouldn't even know where to start with what actual medicine I should be using to treat her.

All of the laying hens, including the two that have been ill, were born in February and we got them from TSC. They told me they came from a hatchery so I assumed they had been vaccinated already.

Is there an illness that causes neurological and respiratory symptoms together? Have I missed something?

Their feed is kept inside the house along with the cat food and dog food. It never sticks around longer than 2 weeks. We keep in the bag it came in, leaning against the wall in the kitchen by the back door. Having muscovies they never leave any leftovers outside in the feeders either. So they get fresh food every morning.

Their feed is kept inside the house along with the cat food and dog food. It never sticks around longer than 2 weeks. We keep in the bag it came in, leaning against the wall in the kitchen by the back door. Having muscovies they never leave any leftovers outside in the feeders either. So they get fresh food every morning.
So, they have no access to mold?

They are completely free range. We don't lock them in a coop at night. They have shelters they can get under in bad weather with roosts under them, normally they prefer to perch on top of the shelter. They have 1/3 of an acre of fenced in lawn that isn't treated with anything other than chicken poop.

We had 2 weeks of very dry weather before she got sick so not good conditions for mold to grow back there. We have a mud hole in the back yard that the ducks hang out in. The chickens have a clean waterer but I see them drinking out of the ducks mud hole all the time which drives me nuts. I know the ducks poop in there.

Not really salivation. The first one started panting, before I could even hear her wheezing. Then she got a little crusty around her nostrils and her eye got bubbly. This hen started the panting this morning, tonight she has stopped breathing with her mouth open and I never heard her wheezing like I did with the first hen. Her weakness and loss of movement is much worse than the first hen.

I think I'm going to call around tomorrow and see if there is somewhere I can take her to have a necropsy done. If she is worse tomorrow than she is tonight, I can't let her keep suffering. This would make our first chicken lost to an illness. The last one immediately started getting her strength back when we brought in and started treating her, she also never quit eating and drinking on her own. This illness is driving me nuts because I don't know what it is.

Back
Top Bottom