Paralysis in hen please please help

ChickensAreFantastic

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2020
Pittsboro N.C.
Hello so I just got back from vacation, and one of my hens isn't moving. It looks healthy, but it isn't eating or drinking. I don't really know what's happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Remove her to a wire dog crate near food and water. Try to get her to take some water with electrolytes and vitamins, such as SaveAChick, or give 2 ml of Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell. Can you lift her to check for injuries or wounds, and ability to stand? Feel of her crop to see if it is empty or has any food inside. Are her eyes and nostrils clear? Look for her droppings and post a picture or describe them. Feel her over for any weight loss and look to see if her tail is up or down. Check for mites and lice as well. If she has been laying eggs, you can insert a clean finger into her vent 1-2 inches to feel for a stuck egg. Do not bathe her for any reason.

Remove her to a wire dog crate near food and water. Try to get her to take some water with electrolytes and vitamins, such as SaveAChick, or give 2 ml of Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell. Can you lift her to check for injuries or wounds, and ability to stand? Feel of her crop to see if it is empty or has any food inside. Are her eyes and nostrils clear? Look for her droppings and post a picture or describe them. Feel her over for any weight loss and look to see if her tail is up or down. Check for mites and lice as well. If she has been laying eggs, you can insert a clean finger into her vent 1-2 inches to feel for a stuck egg. Do not bathe her for any reason.
Okay. Thank you!

These are the picture of the hen

Attachments

• 20201014_101603 (1).jpg
    20201014_101603 (1).jpg
    629.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20201014_101629.jpg
    20201014_101629.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20201014_101553.jpg
    20201014_101553.jpg
    998.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201014_101603.jpg
    20201014_101603.jpg
    629.1 KB · Views: 16
Do you know if she's been laying eggs?

How old is she and how long have you had her?

Could be the angle of the photo, but her eye looks a bit odd like it may be dilated? If you wave your hand around her face does she react?
Is she pooping?

Any chance she ate moldy feed, something rotten or toxic like fertilizer, weed killer, etc.?

Do you know if she's been laying eggs?

How old is she and how long have you had her?

Could be the angle of the photo, but her eye looks a bit odd like it may be dilated? If you wave your hand around her face does she react?
Is she pooping?

Any chance she ate moldy feed, something rotten or toxic like fertilizer, weed killer, etc.?
She has not been laying eggs. She is around 4. When I put my hands around her face, she just rests it on my had. I don't know if she is pooping, but her vent is clear. We keep our feed in with them. I also noticed that her feathers were a lot lighter than the other hens. Her legs don't move at all.

We got back from our vacation and found her on the ground of the coop floor.

When was the last time you saw her normal and eating is what I'm asking.

Back
Top Bottom