paralysis in legs and death

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by manchesterjac, Aug 18, 2014.

1. manchesterjac

manchesterjac New Egg

Aug 18, 2014
    one of my bantams died yesterday unexpectedly, the flock is about 10 strong and has a very varied diet of veg and layers and corn. an otherwise strong bird died and today one has paralysis - can anyone assist with advice. I have isolated the sick bird andshe is eating well.....and drinking well.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Paralysis can stem from a few things. Mareks Disease always comes to mind as paralysis and death is usually the outcome. Spoiled or moldy feed can cause them to go lame and die. If they are getting into anything poisonous, this can also cause paralysis and death. You might want to post this in our emergency section for more help with this....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I hope you can get this figured out soon before you lose your flock. [​IMG]

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

So sorry about your birds!![​IMG]

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. Sorry to hear about your birds; TwoCrows and Kelsie have given you good advice.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry about the loss of your bantam and the paralysis of the other one. Definitely post on the Emergency section link that TwoCrows has provided you with. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. I hope your sick bird recovers. Good luck with your flock.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If it is Marek's - any survivors will carry it for the rest of their lives. Breeders with confirmed Mareks, often cull the flock or keep a closed flock with no birds coming or going out. It is devastating to have a diagnosis of Mareks. I hope you find out it was some other issues.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your bird. [​IMG]You've been given some great advice above.

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by