Paralysis in Sabelpoot chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by isabelsilkie, Nov 26, 2011.

1. isabelsilkie

isabelsilkie New Egg

Sep 29, 2011
    Hi,
    I bought some sabelpoot chickens and chicks from one of France's most reputable chicken breeders at the beginning of the year. They are so beautiful, but I have already lost three over the past couple of months to a strange problem. It appears that the chicken has injured one leg and then over the coming days the problem gets worse and worse up until the point that it can no longer reach its food and water. Obviously the chicken only lasts a few days after that.
    It is very sad, as they are such beautiful chickens and being slow to develop, I have not had a single egg from them yet. I am wondering if this is a very difficult breed to care for. I have silkies and even have a few of the new Isabel colour (champagne) and have not had any trouble. I would like to persevere with the sablepoots but its heartbreaking to see them injured and go down hill so fast. Any suggestions would be received with gratitude.
    Kind regards to all on BYC, I am new and this looks like a great place to be.
    Isabelsilkie

2. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Agree! So sorry for your loss!

4. isabelsilkie

isabelsilkie New Egg

Sep 29, 2011
    [​IMG] Oh, that's not good news is it!! Thanks so much for replying so quickly. I think I had better spend some research time on Marek's.
    Kind regards from Bordeaux
    Isabelsilkie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by