Paralyzed baby goat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by shaina95, Feb 27, 2017.

1. shaina95

shaina95 New Egg

Feb 27, 2017
    Hello I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on weaning. I've had this goat since he was 1 day old his back legs don't work due to a joint infection when he was born. He's now two months old and refuses to eat. I mix a ground up leafy mixture in to his bottles but when it comes to eating he has no idea what to do Or how to drink water out of a bowl or hay or anything he's never been around other goats just his cat brother. what can I do to over come this barrier. ( side note he also has no interest in being around other goats we've tried to take him back the the place we found him and socialized him with some but he likes to be in the house around people instead and just trots around in his little wheel chair)

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I assume you are still bottle feeding? You will need to cut down on the feedings so he becomes hungry enough to start chewing on hay, or a tiny amount of goat ration.

I usually start stuffing some in their mouths at about 4 weeks, and it will be promptly spit out but it does give them the taste for it. You have to make them hungry before they eat other stuff, or drink, expect lots of complaints.

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Please describe the joint infection. Was this kid normal when he was born and then developed an infection a few days later?

4. shaina95

shaina95 New Egg

Feb 27, 2017
    Yeah we tried cutting down on bottles but he still wasn't eating and the vet said he was getting skinny but we'll keep up with I guess force feeding him and mixing greens into his milk till it gets better

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  5. shaina95

shaina95 New Egg

Feb 27, 2017
    He had neonatal poly arthritis. He would have got it through his umbilical cord before it dried. So it started in his legs and before the antibiotics got it under control it moved to his spine causing swelling and permanently damaging the nerves

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by