1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Paralyzed by no crow collar?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CricketFarm, Jan 24, 2017.

1. CricketFarm

CricketFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2016
    Canada
    Hi all!
    I have a no crow collar that i used with success for my Chantecler rooster, he stopped crowing entirely. I tried it on his brother and it was good for two days and then he got a crick in his neck, he is stooped over from the shoulders down. His head is by the ground and he can eat but we thought he was in pain so we culled him. Then we use the collar again for my black copper marans rooster a few days ago and the same thing happened, he wore it for two days and then crick neck. He seems more unhappy than the other rooster, but he is beloved so we don't want to cull. Does anyone know or have this happen before? Maybe a pinched nerve or can chickens slip a disc? Im worried he cant tilt his head back to drink. He lives in orchard with other hens only, eat pellets and pasture, seems healthy otherwise.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Never used one but I can see how it could cause a pinched nerve. A slipped disc would still cause a pinched nerve.

3. CricketFarm

CricketFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2016
    Canada
    [​IMG]
    This is him.
    So if a pinched nerve do i sent him for a massage? Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by