1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Paralyzed Chick Help ASAP!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TnChickHen, Jul 13, 2011.

1. TnChickHen

TnChickHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    TN
    Well, went out this morning, to check on the chicks, and had to lift up the run. Little did I know, one of my BLH got caught under the wood!!! [​IMG] Now, he/she is paralyzed. Won't move legs or anything, but is still alert. 3 weeks old (appx), what can I do? Is he/she going to be a house chicken? I just cannot get the nerve to cull, because he/she is still in good condition!!! GRRRR!!!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. TnChickHen

Jun 14, 2011
    TN
    Anybody??

3. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I'm so so sorry. I'm of no help at all but hopefully somone on here will help. I know how frustrating it is to have to wait for a response when you fell like this. Good luck [​IMG]

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm sorry to hear the poor chick was injured. I haven't dealt with a young injured chick myself, but I would start by setting up a separate infirmary enclosure for the chick were it won't be bullied by the others. I guess I would put some electrolytes in water just in case it might be experiencing some shock. Then I would keep watch and hope that the chick regains some movement. Does the chick seem to be experiencing pain? hopefully someone who has experienced something similar will have some suggestions soon...

5. TnChickHen

Jun 14, 2011
    TN
    She seems to be fine. I've already separated her from everyone else. She will be our indoor chicken (granted she makes it).... I'm looking at making her a chicken diaper, although she won't be moving around much, it'd be nice

6. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't give up hope yet that she will recover okay. Just make sure you keep her well hydrated with plenty of water with electrolytes if you have them. Keep her warm and give her time to heal. She could just have swelling around her spinal cord from the injury and that takes time to heal.

7. TnChickHen

Jun 14, 2011
    TN
    Thank you Wildflower. I'm going to give it time, of course, and plenty of pedialyte (that's all we have, because apparently our electrolytes magically disappeared from my cart while checking out...).

8. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Any update?

9. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    The baby any better? [​IMG]

10. TnChickHen

Jun 14, 2011
    TN
    she's been scooting around, doing a semi duck run, so its getting a bit better. Hoping tomorrow she will be a bit better. I've started doing a little rehab with her legs, abduction/adduction and extension/flexion. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by