Paralyzed Chick o1...Torture Or Just Plain Hypnotism

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chris_m90731, Nov 23, 2009.

1. chris_m90731

chris_m90731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ok so I remember watching this movie with the late Patrick Swayze; involving the slums of India, and I specifically remember one of the Indian slumlords putting a hen on it's back and covering it's head, stroking it's breast and eventually putting the bird into a trance. Frozen on it's back as is it were paralyzed...perhaps hypnotized.
    The curious Jarhead that I am, I gave it a try with one of my young hens.
    And...low and behold, she exhibited the EXACT same behavior.
    My question is, is this torture? Am I abusing the bird...or am I just annoying her.
    Sometimes i do it when I've got some friends over...makes for a great conversation piece.
    Should I stop this?
    Gillie (the bird in question) doesn't seem to mind it. And after every occurrence, I give her a hotdog treat...

[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My kids do it too and I tell them not to.

I doubt it hurts them... almost makes me think they are playing dead.

3. OH HELL NO. If you can find a chicken that is willing a able to be "hypnotized" and does not seem to mind it, you having a good ol' farm time. Just do not do it daily as a chicken on its back for over 5 or so minutes eventually will exhibit air sac problems.

4. chris_m90731

chris_m90731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Quote:LOL...nice. Yeah, I'll keep it under five.

5. Tuppemor

Tuppemor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Norway
    Mine do that too. Very helpful when changing foot bands and examining feet and belly.
    Some are more reluctant than others though, and keep their heads up so they are "awake".
    I've never done it for any prolonged period of time either, think it could have unwanted effects. Usually I'm done in less than a minute.

6. dianer29

dianer29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    From what I understand and have been told my members and owners of chickens alot longer than I , I would not recommend you continue doing it. The way the poultry's respitory system is that it is placed in an unnatural position and can cause harm and or death . I would discontinue this activity and count your blessings that you have not lost one...........yet. Enjoy their antics that they create on their own. A chicken looks to it's owner for food, water,security,shelter, health maintenance,and trust.Most of which they cannot provide on their own.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by