Paralyzed chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sea-breeze, Nov 23, 2014.

1. sea-breeze

sea-breeze New Egg

May 2, 2013
    Kansas
    I have a silkie cross chick that hatched on Thursday. For the first two days it was fine. Happy chick, eating, drinking. Running around the brooder. On day three it woke up fine then crashed. It stopped walking hand started popping mostly water. A constant drip. I immediately made electrolyte water and began dropper feeding the chick. It was alert pecking and seemed to feel fine. It's legs are completely non functioning. I am feeding purina start & grow medicated feed. Today it seems more tired but still alert and eating when it's awake. I am at a loss as to what could be going on. It does not seem to like being too warm. 92* and the chick is panting and trying to get away. The area it seems comfortable feels cool to me but the chick seems comfortable. The belly button area is the only physical area that gives me concern. It doesn't look healed and still has a bit of umbilical cord attached. I cleaned the area with an iodine pad. Since last night I have been feeding the chick poultry nutri-drench. Today I mixed the nutri-drench with egg yolk hoping the extra food would help a bit. It has been pooping mostly liquid and white but has had some green in some of them.

I have no idea what is going on. From all my reading it doesn't seem to match any of the normal illnesses. Any ideas?

Culling is not an option at this point

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by