Paralyzed Chicken !!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickbrad24, Mar 24, 2015.

1. chickbrad24

chickbrad24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I went into my chicken this morning and my one buff oprpington hen is completely paralyzed. She can not get up her legs are stretched out behind her. I have no clue what could be going on she is not walking at all. I'm just so worried for her. I am at work right now I did not get take a picture. She does not have bumble foot because I checked her feet. Her toes are moving just not her legs. Can anyone tell me what could be going on.

2. Kass

Kass Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2015
    Sounds like she could be egg bound. This happened to one of my easter eggers. she did lay the egg but she didn't walk for about 2 weeks. Now you would never know it happened.. She gets around fine.

3. chickbrad24

Jun 18, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    So if she is egg bound what am I going to look for when I get home ? Am I going to look to see if there is an egg stuck up there. Will it come out on it's own. I never had a chicken become egg bound before and I don't have the slightest idea on how to help her. When I get home I will have to take a picture of her and post it on her.

4. Kass

Kass Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2015
  5. chickbrad24

Jun 18, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    This is how I found her this morning and she has not moved all day !!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. chickbrad24

Jun 18, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I also stuck my finger up her vent and as soon as i brought it out she squirt diarrhea everywhere and it smells rotten.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Her lameness could be from severe dehydration, Mareks disease, or from botulism which results from eating a toxin contained in dead animals or rotted vegetation. Coccidiosis can cause severe dehydration and weakness as well. I would offer her fluids with electrolytes and vitamins, some cooked egg, and mositen her feed with the water. Bring her inside and keep her warm.

8. chickbrad24

Jun 18, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I brought her inside she is in my bathroom I gave her water with vitamins and electrolytes and some scrambled eggs. She is not drinking and she did not eat at all. What should I be looking for any of those 3. I really hope it's not Mareks disease. Is botulism contagious ? I know mareks disease and Coccidiosis. I just don't want to lose her.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Botulism is not contagious, but if there is something on your property that contains it such as an animal or fish carcass or rotted vegetation, then the others can be in danger of eating it too. In botulism, there would be progressive paralysis spreading from the feet, legs, upward to the wings, then the neck. Death can occur within 12-24 hours. In chickens who live for 2 days, they can recover from botulism with feeding and supportive care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by