Paralyzed duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by abrown4349, Oct 14, 2016.

1. abrown4349

abrown4349 New Egg

Oct 9, 2016
    I need some help. My 8 month old duck is paralyzed on left side. This started 8 days ago when I went out to barn I noticed her having trouble walking. I picked her up and brought her in so her rooster boyfriends wouldn't bug her while she was hurt. I have tried everything. Antibiotics, took to vet they gave her steroid injection and vitamin b shots. Vet didn't think it was anything broken as she still had feeling in both legs. Fed her everything the Internet recommended as far as veggies, fruit supplements. She has now lost feeling in right leg. She drags herself around on wings. Every time I think of putting her down I put her in pool and she floats(to one side) happy and splashing. She has a good appetite, drinks a lot, poop is green and looks like baby poop. It's just so sad to see her just sitting there. What could it be? Any other suggestions to try for poor Marley the duck?

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    @casportpony. Any ideas?

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

How long has she been like this?

I am not sure Mareks is all that common in Ducks which might cause paralysis in legs, wings, eventually entire body. So it is possible she may have had a stroke? I have had two chickens that had stroke. One was so severe she couldn't stand and I kept her in a basket giving her time to exercise in hopes of building her strength back, which she did start to do before she had a heart attack. The second bird with stroke did make a full recovery after a few months. Supportive care in cases like these are what saves them. Herbs to increase circulation like Ginger and Hawthorn did wonders for my birds. A large pinch of either of these mixed in food or in baby food and down the throat it went, twice a day. Added vitamins are a must...Poly Vi Sol (without the iron) worked fabulous. They really need extra vitamins when they are sick. Nutri-Drench is wonderful as well. It takes time for them to regain strength. I would do everything to keep her comfortable and as long as she is living without pain and seems to still enjoy life, she may heal over time?

Maybe someone else will chime in here with more helpful tips for you, but this would be my first guess. I hope she makes a full recovery!

4. abrown4349

abrown4349 New Egg

Oct 9, 2016
    Hello and thank you. Wow a stroke. Something I hadn't thought of. It makes sense though. I will add some fresh herbs to our regimin too. Seems I've been trying everything. Trying to keep her as comfortable as possible. I was thinking of putting her down and had a dream she was up running around again so I'm still hopeful. Any idea the length of time I should go to see if she's improving?

5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! Hold on to that dream! I always try to give them every chance I can! I do not know anything about ducks, but I just wanted to extend a WELCOME!!! I hope you enjoy BYC!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Every bird is different.However stroke can take a few months to heal from. If she did have a stroke, she could have another. So there is no guarantee. Just give her as much supportive care as possible, lots of love and as long as she is comfortable keep her going. Enjoy her while you have her with you. [​IMG]

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC. Is she a crested duck?

-Kathy

8. abrown4349

abrown4349 New Egg

Oct 9, 2016
    Hi. No she is a Pekin duck.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

What antibiotics did you try?

Can you post some poop pictures?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by