Paralyzed duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NatDuB90, Mar 12, 2017.

1. NatDuB90

NatDuB90 New Egg

Mar 9, 2017
    I was in tractor supply getting chick feed when one of the workers asked me if I wanted a free duckling that had a broke leg. Of course I said yes considering I already have ducks and duck eggs in an incubator, I couldn't turn it away for I love ducks. But once I got her home I saw that I don't believe it's broke.. looks like a deformity.. if you've even seen this before or have any advice please let me know![VIDEO][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [/VIDEO]

2. NatDuB90

NatDuB90 New Egg

Mar 9, 2017
    SHe tries to balance herself on one leg.. but has a hard time not falling over. Her first night at home she stayed on me most of the time and even "talked" when I talked.. she didn't like being put down or by herself so she slept with a teddy bear.. her second night I borrowed one of my moms new ducklings to be a companion for her.

3. Gorman Farm

Gorman Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Don't raise ducks at all, but for me it looks higher up like maybe in the hip region. Poor baby I hope he feels better soon. Maybe there are some other folks on here that can help more.

4. NatDuB90

NatDuB90 New Egg

Mar 9, 2017
    [​IMG]
    Her sleeping with her teddy bear [​IMG]

5. NatDuB90

NatDuB90 New Egg

Mar 9, 2017
    [​IMG]
    My dog Penny wanting to be Peggy's momma too

6. NatDuB90

NatDuB90 New Egg

Mar 9, 2017
    [​IMG]
    Thank you for your reply! Yes, it looks like it's right where it's leg bends.. I had someone tell me to straighten it and tape it body width apart down so the muscles can reform correctly but it's already been this way too long they were afraid bc it will not straighten out at all.. it's very stiff

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  7. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

If it's an option, I think an avian vet would be best to evaluate and recommend treatment for your duckling's leg.

It looks possible to me that your duckling has a slipped tendon. This thread has information that may be helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...pped-tendons-in-bantam-duckling#post_16233848.

If the hock is swollen, it may be difficult to treat - per @casportpony , "if the tendon has been out of place more than a few days, it may be unbearably painful to the bird to try to fix it or may cause damage. You could try gradually stretching the leg the leg a number of times a couple days to lengthen the tendon, & then try correcting the placement." See the section titled "Fix Slipped Achilles Tendon in Hock Joint" here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/746170/messed-up-joint.

The little one is precious, and I commend you for being willing to try to help her. Best wishes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by