Paralyzed hen UPDATE

maco5

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 16, 2008
San Jose, CA
I took the hen to the vet last wednesday since she wasnt getting better>
Not much was learned from the visit other than it could be a soft tissue inury near her spinal column.
The vet tube fed her and gave sub Q fluids.
She was also put on metacam twice a day for a week.
So since then there has been no improvement.
She is eating, but not alot.

Today (saturday), I took her back to the vet again.
Now they think if it isn't an injury, it could be merricks disease.
More fluids and tube feeding, and we go home again.'
The vet doesn't think she will improve, but said she could survive the way she is, unless it's merricks.

I will keep doing what I can for her and hope she pulls out of it!
I am also going to educate myself about Merricks!!!

awww, that stinks !! Sorry to hear about the sick hen... Dont yah wish somtimes our chickens could just tell us whats wrong ?? She's a very lucky chicken that your doing all you can for her, not all would be doing what you are for her !!

Hope she starts getting better for you !!
fl.gif
fl.gif

I have had a bird come back from Merek's disease. I kept her in a cage with food and water and cleaned it every day. Eventually, she could walk again. She walked with a limp. My neighbor has 2 survivors.

How long did it take for her to recover from it Horsejody?

The good thing is she still wants to eat, but it sn't easy for her.
I got her some worms today and she ate 3.

She moves around but can't get up.
Every morning when I check her I hope she will surprise me ad be standing up!!

She is in the house, with lots of padding uner her, a heat lamp, and her food nd water right in front of her so she can reach it.

With Marek's it's tough because she'd just always be a carrier. I lost a bird with Marek's to a hawk. But she went from a limp to a lump within 8 days, so it was a blessing in disguise.

As long as she's eating, drinking and pooping, your bird should be okay.

What happens with Marek's is a gradual paralysis that usually ends with the bird suffocating because they can't breathe anymore.

Hugs and prayers for your baby, and I'll ask Miss MoneyPenny to keep an eye on her from across the Bridge.

Quote:
Which means your chicken will shed the disease to any other chickens it comes in contact with.

You should practice extra cautious biosecurity and close your flock. Nothing comes in or out of your place as long as any of your current chickens are alive.

Also, you should take extra precautions to stay away from other people with chickens. Lots of diseases and germs can be carried on your feet or clothing from your house to theirs and infect their birds as well.

Quote:
I think it was about 3 weeks. Some chickens take more or less time. Mildred was happy and eating and seemed perfectly content to lay (and eventually sit up) in her little kennel. Once she recovered she limped but could move almost as fast as everybody else.

Edited to add - Now all of my new additions are vaccinated.

Last edited:
So this coming monday will be 3 weeks that my hen was somehow injured.
She was eating pretty good for awhile, but now not so much.
I have to pick her up so she can poo, otherwise she doesn't go.'
I know she eats some of the food, but not enoough to sustain herself.
Every night I sit with her and feed her baby bird food.
This is the food the vet gave her, so she said it was good to feed.
I am also giving her vitamins.
She is sort of interested in the food, but I do have to force it on her also.'
She will eat worms.

Anyway, if she doesn't improve in a couple of weeks, I am afraid I will have to rethink this.
Especially if she loses weight.
I don't want her to starve to death.

I don"t know what else to do for her at this point!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom